Here are two short pieces based on things that have happened in my life recently (or even today).
Assemble
The other day, and even tonight, I had one of my friends over to help with my new condo. The first saw me anxiously looking as she unpacked the pieces of my new desk chair and kindly offered to just assemble it on her own if that would be helpful. At first I declined, but as she kept unpacking and I found myself unsure how to help, I took her up on it.
It was so peaceful and lovely for us to just be in the same room each doing our own kind of work. I was trying to finish up some computer tasks for work because I was about to take three days off and I didn't want to leave my team in the lurch. She methodically and deftly assembled my desk chair enjoying--or so she said--having a break from computer work.
In the end I had an actual comfortable chair to sit in that could hold my weight and shape well. She had to go, but I thanked her.
Tonight, a different friend came out. We had dinner and vented about our days and then sequestered ourselves in my second bedroom to assemble the daybed with a trundle underneath that I had picked out online. The full bed portion went pretty smoothly with me mostly just holding things in place or entertaining this other friend with wild animal facts (side note--did you know toxic birds are a thing?).
The trundle bed proved much more difficult. We got the wheels wrong three(?) times before we figured out how they had to go. We laughed about it even though I wanted to cry. I made her laugh with naughty jokes about nuts, screws, and Allen (how I referred to our allen wrench).
I told the second friend this, but I still need to tell the first--I so appreciate that I live in a time where I--a single woman--can own a home and has wonderful friends who will come to my side and wrestle with furniture I bought online. And they don't complain, they give me a smile.
If you'll pardon the pun, I am proud of the community I've assembled.
Humid
How is it misting out and still so humid? The skin that is not hidden by close is slick with the drizzle and the skin that is hidden by clothes is slick with sweat.
How am I so slippery?
And how is this the second time today that that happened?
After my first morning walk with my dog, I felt so gross that I took a luxurious bath and scrubbed myself clean. I felt so calm and fabulous.
Then, on my dog's afternoon walk, it happened again.
Why???
Once I was home again, I reacclimated to my condo's central air and it was okay.
Then a friend came over and we assembled a daybed and trundle that would fit underneath. I closed the door to the second bedroom we were in so my dog--who just loves people--wouldn't get in our way. While this definitely made the building process easier as there was no dog underfoot, it got so sweaty again even though I had the ceiling fan on.
I am--once again--reacclimating to my central air but I just feel so gross.
Is two baths in one day too much?
I suppose I didn't have to tell anyone about this, but I also wanted to get this post in before midnight if I could so I wasn't behind on my posts (though I have been behind on posts before and it's been okay) as I am proud of myself for keeping up this blog for so many years even if it isn't what it initially set out to be.
I hope that this humidity breaks soon so that I am not either slick nor covered in a dry layer of sweat.
Yick, even I hated typing that.
I may just take a cold shower to rinse off and not do the full body scrub I did earlier as it is almost midnight and I really should be getting to bed.
But now I just remembered that I have ice cream in my freezer and I perhaps I should reward my efforts and literal sweat with a cold treat.
I like this plan.
Hopefully, the humidity will break soon, but, for now, at least there are friends, showers, and Ben & Jerry's pints--and that really isn't so bad.
(Prompt by Kimisha Cassidy)
Photo by David Schultz on Unsplash
Comments
Post a Comment