Skip to main content

A woman finds out she has to wear an eye patch for a few days

This was one of the stupider situations Alexis had found herself in. She had been babysitting her niece and nephew and thought it would be a grand time for them all to play frisbee. She had always loved tossing the disc around with brother, so she thought she'd pass on the tradition to his kids.

She should've foreseen that the two would gang up on her. They weren't bad kids, they were just young and goofy and didn't know their own strength yet. They had ended up figuring out a way to whip the frisbee at her way too hard. In her shock, she hadn't even managed to block or catch the disc. Nope, she took it right in the eye.

The world went pretty blurry in that eye and her niece and nephew started to cry. They felt terrible that they had hurt their aunt Alexis and Alexis felt terrible that she had to call her brother and sister-in-law away from their day out. She felt even worse that her brother then had to take her to the hospital.

"You'll be okay in a few days," the doctor told her reassuringly, "but you're going to have to wear this eye patch."

Alexis, a grown woman, was going to have to go around looking like a pirate.

"Great," she muttered before her brother took her home. Alexis had been planning on going on a date that night, but decided to cancel. She opened her Tinder inbox and found her most recent chat with Richard. He was 29 and an accountant. She had high-well not high, no one has high hopes on Tinder-more like mediocre hopes for this date. She sent him a quick message asking to reschedule since she had to wear an eye patch (not the sexiest attire she added, hoping to come off as funny). She also explained the story with her niece and nephew because she didn't want to come off as an impossibly clumsy woman.

You know, we don't have to go on a date if you don't want to, pinged a message from Richard.

No, I do! I just have this eye patch, Alexis quickly typed back.

Okay. Sure. And then Richard unmatched from her.

Well, there goes that, thought Alexis. She absently swiped through Tinder for a while, turning down guys who had no descriptions or used the word "bitches" in their bios, it was sad that the latter was a common thing she encountered. Her eye patch seemed to make her accidentally swipe the wrong way more often then she normally did, but she might've just been wanting to blame her bad luck on something.

Later that night, she got a match with a guy named Nick. He was 28 and worked at a media production company. They started chatting and he eventually asked how her day was. She took a minute to decide if she wanted to tell the story or not considering how Richard had reacted, but she went for it. Alexis thought it was a fun story and hopefully Nick would to.

So Alexis wrote all about her day of spending time with her niece and nephew and how she loved frisbee and wanted to share that with them but how it had all gone terribly awry. She was disappointed to discover that she couldn't find a pirate emoji to explain her current appearance (which she also told him).

Nick seemed to have gone silent for a bit, but he hadn't unmatched, so Alexis went back to swiping through guys. This time around she had to avoid a fair few guys who thought bathroom selfies were the only kind of photo a man could take. We all have smartphones these days, she thought, just turn your camera around.

A little ping let her know that Nick had sent her another message. She was a little nervous to read it as she had started to feel like there was date potential with him, so she took a breath and then opened it.

You're not going to believe this, his first message said which was quickly followed by But I kinda have a thing for eye patches...

"What the Hell?" Alexis said to herself as she prepared to take a cute selfie.

(Prompt by Sonia Soto)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the