Skip to main content

Boy learns that he likes to get his nails painted

Ariel, Keith's little sister, had convinced him it would be fun. He had fought her on it for weeks, but she kept asking. He finally gave in when their parents were out and he was stuck babysitting, it was harder to distract her then.

"Pleeaaaasssssssssseee," Ariel whined, "It'll be so fun and so preeettttyyy!"

"No, let's watch a movie," Keith tried to suggest.

"No," Ariel pouted and looked up at Keith with her big, blue eyes.

Keith sighed heavily, "Okay, let's paint my nails."

Ariel lit up and hugged Keith tightly before running to her room. Keith could hear the clattering of her nail polish containers as she threw them into her little carrying case and raced back downstairs. She grabbed Keith by the hand and took him over to the couch.

"Okay, so what color should I pick?" asked Keith.

"No," said Ariel, "We're not ready yet." Ariel then went to the kitchen and, with the help of her little blue stool, pulled down some paper towels. She came back to the couch and put the paper towels in his lap. "In case it drips," she said proudly.

"Okay, so what color-"

"No," said Ariel, "We're not ready yet." Ariel seemed to be getting more exasperated with Keith, but there was also a hint of pride in her voice that she enjoyed knowing more than him for once. She ran to the bathroom and came back with a bag of cotton balls. "In case I paint outside your nails," she explained.

"Okay, so-"

"No," said Ariel, "We're not ready yet." This time there was a hint of mischief in her voice that Keith did not appreciate, but when she ran off, she only returned with his smart phone. "I'm going to take pictures after," she said excitedly.

Keith looked at her for a moment, waiting to see if she'd forgotten anything else.

"We can start now," she said, beaming.

"Okay, so what color should I pick?" Keith asked, smiling at how excited his little sister was.

"Your favorite color," Ariel said matter-of-factly.

"Not a color to match my outfit?" Keith enjoyed teasing Ariel a bit.

"No."

"Not a color to go with the season?"

"No."

"Not your favorite color?"

That one made her stop and think for a moment. "No," Ariel replied, "but it would be nice if we had the same favorite color."

"Well mine is blue," said Keith.

Ariel scrunched her face a bit (Keith knew orange was her favorite color). "Okay, I have some blues." Ariel took out three different shades of blue. At this point, Keith decided she had too much nail polish.

There was a dark blue with silver sparkles in it. "What's this one called?" Keith asked picking it up.

"Deep ocean night," Ariel said without looking.

There was a light baby blue one with swirls of light purple, "And this one?"

"Like it, sorbet it," said Ariel, either not getting the attempt at a pun or just not being amused by it. Keith couldn't blame her either way.

There was an electric blue one. "And this one?"

"Blue Tesla," said Ariel smiling, "It's my favorite." She trained her smile on Keith, telling him without words what she hoped he'd pick.

Keith probably would've picked it anyways, it had the best name, but he figured he'd just go with what she wanted. "Let's do blue Tesla," he said.

Ariel very gently painted his nails. She was careful to fix up the edges when she painted off of his nails (which she did a lot). She also instructed him to blow on them and to not touch anything for a while.

While his nails dried, Ariel told him all about her favorite colors. She had different ones for different things it turned out. Keith had just thought her favorite color was orange all the way through, but Ariel told him that was just for skirts. Her favorite color for shirts was yellow and for pants it was red. She really liked pink shoes, but purple ones could be fun too. She always wanted her coats to be bright, no matter the color (she thought this made gray or cold days look happier).

The electric blue was pretty cool looking on his nails, Keith thought (and Ariel agreed) and Keith found that he liked having his nails done and chatting with his little sister about what her favorite color for everything was.

(Prompt by Sonia Soto)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the