Skip to main content

Girl finds out she's a celebrity's doppleganger

Fiona was feel a little schlubby this Saturday morning. She wanted a snack and nothing in her house appealed so she rolled out of her house, still in her pajamas, which had little puppies on them. She had bought them years ago and they showed their wear and tear, but they were comfortable so who gave a shit? It wasn't like people went to the Walgreens on the corner in evening gowns or anything. She'd get her snack and go back to bed to binge some Netflix.

As she browsed the aisles of junk food, she noticed a woman kept turning her head to look at her. Fiona tried to ignore her, but the woman just kept staring. Fiona moved a little farther away, trying to get some distance. She noticed the woman not-so-sneakily take out her phone and snap a picture. Fiona rolled her eyes internally. Yes, she was a grown woman wearing pajamas in public, how hilarious. Luckily the woman left her alone after that and she could continue her leisurely browsing of the salty, sweet, and delicious.

She went up tot he counter to pay for the bag of chips she'd ultimately picked out. The cashier seemed to be staring at her and moving extra slowly. Fiona didn't want to say anything, it was a Saturday and it must be shit job to ring up people having a lazy day in when you had to work.

"Sorry, it's just," the cashier suddenly blurted out, "are you Georgia Hammerton? I'm a huge fan."

Fiona blinked. She had never heard of this Georgia Hammerton and wondered if this was some sort of elaborate prank. "Uh," Fiona began, not sure how to respond. After all, if you don't know who someone is, how are you supposed to take a physical resemblance?

"Don't worry," said the cashier winking, "I know everyone likes their privacy. I won't say anything."

Fiona decided it was just best to reply, "Thanks."

The cashier beamed at her through the rest of the transaction. Fiona politely smiled back and went to walk home. When she stepped outside the Walgreens she was shocked to find a crowd of people with cameras and smartphones all looking at her.

"Georgia! Georgia! Over here!"

"Georgia! Who are you wearing?"

"Is a this a new look? Pajama chic?"

Fiona just raised her hand in front of her face and tried to push her way through the crowd, but they just followed her. There was a gaggle of people she took to be fans along with the paparazzi.

"Georgia! I love your work. It means so much to me!"

"Georgia we saw someone post that you were here on reddit and we came right away! I can't believe it's you!"

"Can I have your autograph?"

"Would you sign my cat?"

That last one got Fiona walking faster to get home. She couldn't believe it was taking this long to get home. She had only wanted a quick snack to enhance her lazy Saturday. She never expected a mob mistaking her for someone named Georgia Hammerton. Although, she did feel a bit complimented to be mistaken for a celebrity with such a following. She held her head a bit higher as she continued her rush home.

Finally, she managed to get inside her home and shut out the crowd who was still calling for Georgia. She locked her door and went upstairs. Quickly drawing her curtains she settled down on her bed and propped her laptop on her crossed legs. She popped open her bag of chips and grabbed some before googling this mysterious Georgia Hammerton.

She blinked at the results.  Georgia Hammerton, while, according to all of the text about her, a beloved comedian who committed a lot of her time and money to admirable charities was a rather messy looking woman. Her hair was always in a rats nest and her eyes looked constantly bloodshot. She even seemed unable to have good posture.

Fiona groaned. Of course this was the celebrity people mistook her for. She pulled up Netflix and opened Georgia Hammerton's stand-up special.

"Alright, let's hope I'm funny."

(Prompt by Sonia Soto)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the