Skip to main content

Two boys get creative

Zane and Stuart desperately wanted to earn new merit badges. They had fewer than anyone else in their troop. They somehow always had a family thing or were sick when the troop was finishing up their badges and they never managed to finish things on their own. The other boys had started teasing them so they wanted to make it up.

At first, they looked for the easiest badges to get, but found that those were pretty much the ones they had already. Instead, they decided to get creative. They tried to figure out how many badges they could get all at once. They found there was a 'Swiss Army Knife' badge where they had to make use of at least 10 of the tools in a project. There was also the 'Responsible Knife Owner' badge where they had to learn about knife safety and some minor first aid. They also found a few art-related badges and an idea was born.

Zane and Stuart amassed some fabric, clay, paper clips, and sticks. They convinced their parents to buy them each a Swiss Army Knife and read over the safety instructions with them (this was required for the badge). They also practiced some basic first aid in case they did nick themselves while creating their project (for this, their parents were thankful).

They first used the ruler to measure out strips of fabric and lengths of sticks (one done).

They used the scissors to cut the fabric (two done) and the large blade to cut the sticks (three done).

They sculpted the clay into a castle-like structure (this would get them the 'Miniature Architecture Badge').

They used the toothpick tool and nail file to add texture to their clay castle (five done).

They wrote their names in cursive on the strips of fabric using the ball point pen (six done) and tied them to the sticks (they hoped this would count towards the 'Good Handwriting Badge').

They then used the pliers to bend the paper clips into cool shapes to decorate the top of their castle (seven done). For a few, they even used the wire crimpers to give them some extra style (eight done).

They snapped photos of their progress that they were planning on putting online so they could get their 'Social Media Badge.'

Zane and Stuart also decided to examine their clay with their magnifying glasses so they could try and see different bits of material in their clay (nine done) so that they could try and count it towards a 'Soil Identification Badge.'

"We need one more," Zane said sadly to Stuart. They sat, flipping through the tools on their Swiss Army Knives, trying to think of something else that they could add to their castle without undoing anything they'd done so far. "Maybe we should've used more sticks or wood," Zane said quietly.

Stuart's eyes suddenly lit up and he quickly pulled out his knife's key ring and signaled for Zane to do the same. Stuart then took them both and attached it to some of the paperclips sticking out from the castle.

"Ten!"

(Prompt by Sonia Soto)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the