Skip to main content

If I won the lottery

Winning the lottery is one of the those day dream fantasies I often find myself in. Who doesn't want to just get a ton of money out of pure luck? How much easier would my life be? Some people probably think about all of the extravagant things they'd buy, but I guess my fantasy ends up being a bit more practical.

I would first pay off my student loan immediately. Then, I would probably check with my family and see if they had any loans that needed paying off. I guess I just think clearing debts is a good first step when you get a ton of money.

Honestly, next I would probably set aside enough money for me to attend another master's program after this one finishes. If I could reasonably afford multiple master's degrees, I would get them. I'm loving being back in school again and there is so much more that I want to learn. Not that I would want to stay in school forever, but I could stand another year or two. Or maybe more in the future.

Probably next I would set aside enough money to put two kids through college. While these future kids of mine are a little ways off, college is one of the largest expenses out there right now, so if that was taken care of, a lot of my future would be set. Maybe I'd make sure I had enough money for four kids (which is the highest number of kids I could see myself having).

Now, the extravagant thing I would do would probably be to organize a vacation for me and my friends with me footing the bill. Now this wouldn't be the most insanely expensive vacation because, at a certain point, I don't see the difference between expensive and insanely expensive hotel rooms, food, etc. But, we could fly first class and stay at a nice air bnb. I'm not sure where I'd have us go, but I guess I'd want it to be somewhere I haven't been before and where they haven't been before. Belize has been on my list for a while now so maybe there? Or probably several countries (hey I've won the lottery, I can afford it!).

After the vacation though, I'm afraid that I'd be rather boring. I'd ask a financial advisor how much I should put into my retirement account, how much into investments, how much into savings, and how much into checking. With whatever spending money I have form this, I would probably like to buy people nice presents for their birthdays and Christmas. Again, this probably doesn't mean like a Tesla, but there are often presents that I wish I could get for people that are just beyond my price range, but hopefully that wouldn't be a problem anymore.

If I still had an insane amount of money (lottery winnings do seem to vary a bit and then there are those pesky taxes), I would probably buy a house in Chicago so that I'd always have a home there and when I wasn't there I would just rent it out. Ideally, it would be close to the lake and have a yard (I do long to get a dog which is probably something else I would get, but my dog would still be a shelter dog, I would just spoil them to bits).

I guess there is also a superstitious side to me that would also have me buy another lottery ticket. I mean, it worked once, right?

(Prompt by Kimisha Cassidy)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

15 facts I learned from a random Wikipedia article

Original prompt: click on "Random Wikipedia Article" and write about whatever comes up (you can try 3 times and pick your favorite). For the record, I got Alejandro Estivill , Fencing at the 2011 Pan American Games – Women's épée , and Benjamin F. Jonas . I chose Benjamin F. Jonas because it was the longest of the three entries and it had a photo. He was born in Kentucky, moved to Illinois as a kid, and went to college and spent the rest of his life in Louisiana Jonas's father was a merchant and lawyer His father knew Lincoln (like they were real buds) Despite this, Jonas sided with the confederacy Not only did he side with the confederacy, but he joined the Confederate army and rose to the rank of major He went to University of Louisiana (now Tulane) Jonas was Jewish (I didn't know there were Jewish senators who served the Confederacy) He was the second Jewish U.S. Senator from Louisiana and the third Jewish Senator overall Jonas was the first Ashkenazi Jewish US...

Origin story or first issue of a superhero whose super power is geometry

Arya sat in history class and was bored. She longed to get to geometry, where things made more sense. She liked geometry so much that she had joined the math team to be able to do it more. Okay, there was also the extra time with her friends who loved math as much as she did, but some of the appeal was just the math itself. Finally the bell rang and Arya had four minutes to get to her geometry class. She passed right by the chemistry class next door where her least favorite teacher was conducting experiments. He needed to be more careful, thought Arya. The teacher had once exploded a glass beaker and not on purpose. Arya took her seat and excitedly pulled out her notebook. It was her favorite color: hot pink. She assigned her notebook and folder colors in ways that felt right to her. And since geometry was her favorite subject, she made her notebook and folder for it her favorite color. As the teacher started to go over the most common mistakes from the last quiz, Arya could've swo...

Color palette

Original prompt: "Google "color palette," pick one, and write something inspired by it." I actually Googled "color palette public domain" to be sure I could use it and found the image on this post. I used the "floral" section for my inspiraiton. The soft sunlight somehow didn't dim the shine of the fireflies. Such it was in the fae realm. Fern loved this time of day in the faewild where it wasn't quite day, but it was far from night. Fern frolicked alone in the glade as she was want to do. It didn't matter to her that her laughter carried itself alone on the breeze; she was content. She wasn't sure how long she'd been alone as she watched the suns begin to set, but it was pleasant in its own way. But then, she heard a noise. It wasn't the noise of leaves on the wind or twigs snapping from some comforting creature. It was the noise of someone approaching with grim determination. Fern wasn't sure how to ready herself to ...