Skip to main content

15 supreme court decisions made this year

I decided to do some research because I was curious what the court was up to. I pulled a lot of direct quotes and I encourage you to read my sources.

  1. Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization: overturned the constitutional right to abortion established by Roe v. Wade in 1973
  2. New York State Rifle & Pistol Association v. Bruen: the court ruled that states with strict limits on carrying guns in public violate the Second Amendment
  3. Carson v. Makin: the court ruled that a Maine program that excludes religious schools from a state tuition program is a violation of the free exercise of religion
  4. Shurtleff v. Boston: the court ruled that the City of Boston had violated the First Amendment when it refused to let a private group raise a Christian flag in front of its City Hall
  5. Houston Community College System v. Wilson: the court ruled that elected bodies do not violate the First Amendment when they censure their members
  6. Ramirez v. Collier: the court ruled that Texas would violate a federal law protecting religious freedom if it executed a death row inmate without allowing his pastor to touch him and pray aloud in the execution chamber
  7. United States v. Zubaydah: the court ruled that the government was not required to disclose the location of a C.I.A. black site where a detainee at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba had been tortured
  8. Trump v. Thompson: the court ruled that former President Donald J. Trump could not block the release of White House records to a House committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol
  9. National Federation of Independent Business v. Department of Labor: the court found that the Biden administration’s vaccine-or-testing mandate for large employers was not lawful
  10. Biden v. Missouri: the court found that the Biden administration’s mandate to require health care workers at facilities receiving federal money to be vaccinated was lawful
  11. Cummings v. Premier Rehab Keller, P.L.L.C.: A case in which the court held that compensatory damages for emotional distress are not available for victims of discrimination under the Rehabilitation Act and the Affordable Care Act
  12. United States v. Tsarnaev: A case in which the court reinstated the death penalty for Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev
  13. United States v. Vaello-Madero: A case in which the  ourt held that the Constitution does not require Congress to make Supplemental Security Income benefits available to the residents of Puerto Rico.
  14. Cameron v. EMW Women’s Surgical Center: A case in which the court decided that the court of appeals erred in denying the Kentucky attorney general’s motion to intervene on the Commonwealth’s behalf
  15. City of Austin, Texas v. Reagan National Advertising of Texas Inc.: A case in which the Court held that the Austin city code’s distinction between on-premise signs, which may be digitized, and off-premise signs, which may not, does not violate the First Amendment.
Sources:
"2021-2022 Term." Oyez. https://www.oyez.org/cases/2021

"Cameron v. EMW Women’s Surgical Center." Oyez. https://www.oyez.org/cases/2021/20-601

"The Major Supreme Court Decisions in 2022" by Adam Liptak and Jason Kao. The New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/06/21/us/major-supreme-court-cases-2022.html

(Prompt by me)

"United States Supreme Court" by Matt Popovich


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the