Skip to main content

Bookstore review: Exile in Bookville

The first feelings I had while walking into Exile in Bookville (Fine Arts Building, 410 S Michigan Ave suite 210, Chicago, IL 60605) were of light and belonging. The bright winter sun came through the large windows, dappling across a myriad of intriguing titles.

I started on the right of the bookstore (as oriented from when you walk in) and spied several books on witches, witchcraft, folklore, and the general occult that I was particularly drawn to. A tad overwhelmed by the choices that appealed to me, I made my way to the middle room. While there were beautiful titles, notebooks, and records abound, none caught my eye as much. Then I moved onto the final room and was once again flooded with a sense of belonging.

Shelf after shelf, there were titles that I had heard of, had read and loved, and that piqued my interest. I grabbed a book I had been meaning to read Murder in the Dressing Room (a murder featuring a drag queen as the amateur sleuth) by Holly Stars (a drag stand-up comedian and writer). However, I made note of several other titles (but, I do have a budget after all).

I then returned to the section that had overwhelmed me. After looking at the books again, I approached the register to ask for advice. I was torn, I told the bookseller, and wanted her recommendation. She quickly and knowledgeably told me about the witchcraft books I was torn between and which she'd recommend if I was only picking one. She then told me about a few of the other books that had caught my eye, including one on cursed objects. The author of the cursed objects book had also written a book on cults which also caught my eye. I read the author's bio and learned that he, J. W. Ocker, had also written a book about cryptids. I asked the bookseller if they had that book and she said no, but that now that she knew of it, she would carry it.

Ultimately, I added Ocker's book Cursed Objects: Strange but True Stories of the World's Most Infamous Items to my pile and went to check out. The bookseller was kind enough to include a freebie of Eerie Legends: An Illustrated Exploration of Creepy Creatures, the Paranormal, and Folklore from around the World by Ricardo Diseno and Steve Mockus to my bag.

Overall, I highly recommend Exile in Bookville. The space is immaculate and welcoming, the books are a great mix of the familiar and the intriguing unknown, and the staff is knowledgeable and friendly.

(Prompt by Kimisha Cassidy)

Exile in Bookville logo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

15 facts I learned from a random Wikipedia article

Original prompt: click on "Random Wikipedia Article" and write about whatever comes up (you can try 3 times and pick your favorite). For the record, I got Alejandro Estivill , Fencing at the 2011 Pan American Games – Women's épée , and Benjamin F. Jonas . I chose Benjamin F. Jonas because it was the longest of the three entries and it had a photo. He was born in Kentucky, moved to Illinois as a kid, and went to college and spent the rest of his life in Louisiana Jonas's father was a merchant and lawyer His father knew Lincoln (like they were real buds) Despite this, Jonas sided with the confederacy Not only did he side with the confederacy, but he joined the Confederate army and rose to the rank of major He went to University of Louisiana (now Tulane) Jonas was Jewish (I didn't know there were Jewish senators who served the Confederacy) He was the second Jewish U.S. Senator from Louisiana and the third Jewish Senator overall Jonas was the first Ashkenazi Jewish US...

Origin story or first issue of a superhero whose super power is geometry

Arya sat in history class and was bored. She longed to get to geometry, where things made more sense. She liked geometry so much that she had joined the math team to be able to do it more. Okay, there was also the extra time with her friends who loved math as much as she did, but some of the appeal was just the math itself. Finally the bell rang and Arya had four minutes to get to her geometry class. She passed right by the chemistry class next door where her least favorite teacher was conducting experiments. He needed to be more careful, thought Arya. The teacher had once exploded a glass beaker and not on purpose. Arya took her seat and excitedly pulled out her notebook. It was her favorite color: hot pink. She assigned her notebook and folder colors in ways that felt right to her. And since geometry was her favorite subject, she made her notebook and folder for it her favorite color. As the teacher started to go over the most common mistakes from the last quiz, Arya could've swo...

Color palette

Original prompt: "Google "color palette," pick one, and write something inspired by it." I actually Googled "color palette public domain" to be sure I could use it and found the image on this post. I used the "floral" section for my inspiraiton. The soft sunlight somehow didn't dim the shine of the fireflies. Such it was in the fae realm. Fern loved this time of day in the faewild where it wasn't quite day, but it was far from night. Fern frolicked alone in the glade as she was want to do. It didn't matter to her that her laughter carried itself alone on the breeze; she was content. She wasn't sure how long she'd been alone as she watched the suns begin to set, but it was pleasant in its own way. But then, she heard a noise. It wasn't the noise of leaves on the wind or twigs snapping from some comforting creature. It was the noise of someone approaching with grim determination. Fern wasn't sure how to ready herself to ...