The other day, I was chatting with my therapist and she brought up the idea of miscellaneous emotions and memories drawer (I had called it a junk drawer, but she said that was too negative). Basically, the idea is that we all contain multitudes, but not all are useful at every moment. So, they all sit together in a drawer and we pull out what is needed in the moment. Here are 15 things in my miscellaneous emotions and memories drawer about my dad.
- My dad was intelligent and encouraged my curiosity
- He fell asleep sitting up in a dining room chair while we spent time together
- His early retirement would've been seen as a blessing to many
- My dad struggled much more after he no longer had to show up and be accountable
- He loved art--especially outsider art
- His pieces he made while in a care home could be considered outsider art--as far as I understand the term at least
- My brother looks more like him than I do
- He disconnected from most of his family
- His sister has been the one helping me get to know him now
- My dad took in the world
- He never took me on a trip
- His best decision--or so he said--was having kids
- My dad loved me
- He did his best for me
- His best wasn't enough
(Prompt by me)
Photo by Patrick Donnelly on Unsplash
Comments
Post a Comment