Skip to main content

Stream of consciousness as I rewatch old episodes of Degrassi: The Next Generation

So, due to me unpacking, I discovered my old Degrassi: The Next Generation bucket hat. That made me want to rewatch the show, so here are a random collection of thoughts I had as I rewatched all of season 1 and 14 episodes of season 2.

  • I do think it's pretty cool that the show does pick up from an older show where the teens from the original show are now adults (some with teenagers of their own)
  • Gosh, that opening song takes me back, but maybe we don't put the final logo on a teen girl's butt?
  • Omg J.T. is the babiest of babies
  • Toby, I was you as a kid--actually aware of danger
  • It is too funny to hear the characters refer to the internet as "the net"
  • In my head, these episodes were like 45 minutes instead of like 22...brain does weird things I guess
  • I am so anxious as this creeper is trapping Emma
  • Hell yeah, Snake, pin that creep up against a wall until the police get there
  • I do find it interesting that the first kids we meet are from the younger group
  • Toby, that's just a regular bra
  • Gosh, I forgot that the youngest group of kids were only seventh graders
  • Every now and then, one of the actors says something super Canadian
  • God, we really pretended that Terri was fat and ugly when she's like MAYBE a size 6 and stunning for her age
  • At the school dance scene, some of the background actors look straight up 40
  • I did not remember Paige was such a villain to start out
  • J.T. and Toby having to wait for their the internet connection to come back up to look at porn sites that are URLs from a printed email is so funny
  • Haha do I spy Pringles product placement?
  • The anti-squeegee kids propaganda plotline is WILD
  • I think Ashley is right in being mad at her dad for ditching her to go live in Europe with his partner--not because his partner is a man because I think she'd be just as mad as if he did the same thing with a woman because it is inherently sucky to just leave the continent your kid is on
  • Ya know, as I see these teens fumble their romantic relationships, it makes me realize that the issues these kids have in with their partners are often the same as we see adult characters dealing with on other shows, but they make much more sense for like 14 year olds to fumble than like 30 year olds
  • Looking at the old cell phones is a trip
  • Crimped hair spotted!
  • How many shows have a plot line that includes red cowboy boots? Maybe it's just this show and How I Met Your Mother but that still seems like too many
  • Ending a season on an ecstasy crash out is a choice
  • And starting one with an abusive dad reveal is also a choice
  • Wow Spinner actually says Jimmy thinks he can't dance because he's white
  • Were dances during school hours really a thing? Like I know it's another country and time, but it was never a thing for me
  • When did Ellie and Ashley become besties? We haven't even seen them on screen together yet
  • Aw man, I totally remember using the Papyrus font on school projects
  • Hey, Joey, maybe don't pretend to be mad at a kid whose dad would beat him when he was mad?
  • Wait, when did Marco become friends with the guys? Last we saw him (and he had no lines) he was a break dance nemesis
  • Yeah I cannot rewatch Paige's assault--I saw it once and it has stayed with me forever
  • Okay, I do get that these were open tryouts, but did the coach really not explain anything about wrestling before having teen boys attempt to restrain each other?
  • I think it's pretty cool to have Emma's mom propose to Snake, but why didn't we get to see it?
  • Joey, you shouldn't say "age ain't nothing but a number"
  • Are we just not gonna mention Spinner bleached his hair?
  • Omg Marco is so sweet, I get how Ellie was into him
  • WOW Manny goes ALL IN after ONE DATE with Craig (she is 14, so I'll give her a TON of slack)
  • Oof we sure do go racist by giving students in hijabs a "fashion crime ticket"
  • That said, even Paige was offended by that which (as Paige herself points out) means you've gone WAY too far
  • The sewing(?) teacher says he should send J.T. back to geometry, but I thought J.T. was in eighth grade--do Canadians do geometry in seventh grade?
  • Spinner, just pick Canada as your culture
  • Uhh I don't think the principal should be commenting on Paige having altered her costume to show midriff and leg
  • Hey, Snake, don't say "Ya, mon" to a student who says she's Jamaican
  • Joey, are you seriously taking a 15 year old boy's idea about strippers over what your friend said he wanted for a stag party?
  • That said, why didn't you send Craig to a friend's house when you decided to hire a stripper?
  • Snake, why is your boss (whom you do not call by his first name) at your stag party?
  • Gosh, I'm just gonna keep rewatching this show!

(Prompt by me)

Degrassi: The Next Generation, CTV


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

15 facts I learned from a random Wikipedia article

Original prompt: click on "Random Wikipedia Article" and write about whatever comes up (you can try 3 times and pick your favorite). For the record, I got Alejandro Estivill , Fencing at the 2011 Pan American Games – Women's épée , and Benjamin F. Jonas . I chose Benjamin F. Jonas because it was the longest of the three entries and it had a photo. He was born in Kentucky, moved to Illinois as a kid, and went to college and spent the rest of his life in Louisiana Jonas's father was a merchant and lawyer His father knew Lincoln (like they were real buds) Despite this, Jonas sided with the confederacy Not only did he side with the confederacy, but he joined the Confederate army and rose to the rank of major He went to University of Louisiana (now Tulane) Jonas was Jewish (I didn't know there were Jewish senators who served the Confederacy) He was the second Jewish U.S. Senator from Louisiana and the third Jewish Senator overall Jonas was the first Ashkenazi Jewish US...

Origin story or first issue of a superhero whose super power is geometry

Arya sat in history class and was bored. She longed to get to geometry, where things made more sense. She liked geometry so much that she had joined the math team to be able to do it more. Okay, there was also the extra time with her friends who loved math as much as she did, but some of the appeal was just the math itself. Finally the bell rang and Arya had four minutes to get to her geometry class. She passed right by the chemistry class next door where her least favorite teacher was conducting experiments. He needed to be more careful, thought Arya. The teacher had once exploded a glass beaker and not on purpose. Arya took her seat and excitedly pulled out her notebook. It was her favorite color: hot pink. She assigned her notebook and folder colors in ways that felt right to her. And since geometry was her favorite subject, she made her notebook and folder for it her favorite color. As the teacher started to go over the most common mistakes from the last quiz, Arya could've swo...

Color palette

Original prompt: "Google "color palette," pick one, and write something inspired by it." I actually Googled "color palette public domain" to be sure I could use it and found the image on this post. I used the "floral" section for my inspiraiton. The soft sunlight somehow didn't dim the shine of the fireflies. Such it was in the fae realm. Fern loved this time of day in the faewild where it wasn't quite day, but it was far from night. Fern frolicked alone in the glade as she was want to do. It didn't matter to her that her laughter carried itself alone on the breeze; she was content. She wasn't sure how long she'd been alone as she watched the suns begin to set, but it was pleasant in its own way. But then, she heard a noise. It wasn't the noise of leaves on the wind or twigs snapping from some comforting creature. It was the noise of someone approaching with grim determination. Fern wasn't sure how to ready herself to ...