Skip to main content

Promises

After breaking yet another promise to my brother, a fairy appeared before me. She was beautiful and ethereal, having a comforting aura about her. For some reason, I thought I would be rewarded by her presence, but instead I was cursed.

"Hear me, Charlotte of Champaign, you can no longer break a promise."

At first, I was pleased, I thought this meant that I would be granted the power to fulfill every promise I made. The curse did not seem so bad.

"If you cannot fulfill the promise, you will not be able to make it," the fairy continued.

This seemed odd, I thought. I thought every promise I had made had been one I could have fulfilled. Sure, I had not fulfilled them, but that was not because I was incapable...was it?

Before I was able to ask anything of the fairy, she vanished as quickly as she had appeared. I blinked and the memory of the fairy began to fade. Perhaps I dreamed the whole thing I thought to myself and carried on about my day. I met up with a friend and she divulged numerous secrets: her husband had a boyfriend and a girlfriend that she had just learned about, our mutual friend was about to declare bankruptcy, our boss secretly loved Hello Kitty, and my brother had sent her a flirtatious email the other day.

"Just promise me you will not tell anyone these things," she whispered conspiratorially.

I tried to promise that I would not, but I had already texted another coworker to tell her about the Hello Kitty obsession of our boss. "I---," I began trying to force the words out, but found that they would not come, "cannot."

My friend froze for a moment, but then smiled, "Well as long as you can promise me that you will not say it came from me, we're all fine." She winked at me.

"No," I said without thinking. I had already made the plan in my head to call my sister to discuss our brother's newfound flirtation.

"What?" my friend asked, confused.

"I just...I cannot promise that," I faltered.

She seemed prepared to yell at me, but just then I got a call from my sister. I signaled that I had to answer my phone and excused myself. "Hi, Ivy, I'm at lunch, is everything alright?"

"Yes," came her voice from a few towns over. "I just wanted to call to invite you to Timothy's graduation next week. I think I had mentioned it to you a little while before, but we just wanted to be sure you could come."

"I will try," I said, even though the words I had meant to say were 'I promise I will be there.'

"Great!" replied Ivy. "I'll tell Timothy you promise to be there."

"Well," I interjected before I realized, "I did not say that."

"Oh, I know, but you promise you'll try right? I know the timing may be hard with work or something, but Timothy really wants you to be there."

"I'm not sure I can promise that either."

"You cannot even promise to try? You mean so much to him," came Ivy's disappointed voice. "I know your promises do not mean much these days, but promising to try seems a small thing to ask."

"I promise I will try to try," I finally eked out.

"Okay," replied Ivy. "I send you the details." She then hung up without another word.

I stood there, silent phone to my ear and realized that I must reflect upon what kind of person I am that I cannot even fulfill a promise of trying to appear at a momentous point in my nephew's life.

(Prompt from writing.prompt.s)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

15 facts I learned from a random Wikipedia article

Original prompt: click on "Random Wikipedia Article" and write about whatever comes up (you can try 3 times and pick your favorite). For the record, I got Alejandro Estivill , Fencing at the 2011 Pan American Games – Women's épée , and Benjamin F. Jonas . I chose Benjamin F. Jonas because it was the longest of the three entries and it had a photo. He was born in Kentucky, moved to Illinois as a kid, and went to college and spent the rest of his life in Louisiana Jonas's father was a merchant and lawyer His father knew Lincoln (like they were real buds) Despite this, Jonas sided with the confederacy Not only did he side with the confederacy, but he joined the Confederate army and rose to the rank of major He went to University of Louisiana (now Tulane) Jonas was Jewish (I didn't know there were Jewish senators who served the Confederacy) He was the second Jewish U.S. Senator from Louisiana and the third Jewish Senator overall Jonas was the first Ashkenazi Jewish US...

Origin story or first issue of a superhero whose super power is geometry

Arya sat in history class and was bored. She longed to get to geometry, where things made more sense. She liked geometry so much that she had joined the math team to be able to do it more. Okay, there was also the extra time with her friends who loved math as much as she did, but some of the appeal was just the math itself. Finally the bell rang and Arya had four minutes to get to her geometry class. She passed right by the chemistry class next door where her least favorite teacher was conducting experiments. He needed to be more careful, thought Arya. The teacher had once exploded a glass beaker and not on purpose. Arya took her seat and excitedly pulled out her notebook. It was her favorite color: hot pink. She assigned her notebook and folder colors in ways that felt right to her. And since geometry was her favorite subject, she made her notebook and folder for it her favorite color. As the teacher started to go over the most common mistakes from the last quiz, Arya could've swo...

Color palette

Original prompt: "Google "color palette," pick one, and write something inspired by it." I actually Googled "color palette public domain" to be sure I could use it and found the image on this post. I used the "floral" section for my inspiraiton. The soft sunlight somehow didn't dim the shine of the fireflies. Such it was in the fae realm. Fern loved this time of day in the faewild where it wasn't quite day, but it was far from night. Fern frolicked alone in the glade as she was want to do. It didn't matter to her that her laughter carried itself alone on the breeze; she was content. She wasn't sure how long she'd been alone as she watched the suns begin to set, but it was pleasant in its own way. But then, she heard a noise. It wasn't the noise of leaves on the wind or twigs snapping from some comforting creature. It was the noise of someone approaching with grim determination. Fern wasn't sure how to ready herself to ...