
Okay so I should probably clarify a few things first.
- Puppy is not a puppy. He is, in fact, over four years old, but a) he looks like a puppy and b) I tend to call all dogs puppies.
- Puppy is not my dog, he belongs to my dear friends Emily and Joe.
- Puppy is not Puppy's name. His real name is Buehrle after the baseball player Mark Buehrle who was, at least at one point, on the White Sox (Emily and Joe are quite the baseball fans and their favorite team is the White Sox).
Despite all of this, I call him Puppy and he is the closest thing I have to having my own pet. Now Puppy didn't always like me. He was quite alarmed by my presence, but I grew on him. After he moved to Chicago, Emily helped me trick him into sitting in my lap by putting one of his favorite blankets across my lap and coaxing him into sitting in my lap. We have escalated to the point that he knows my name. I find it so exciting that Emily can say my name and he gets so excited. When he stopped barking when I came into their apartment it was incredibly sweet. I like to think it's because he thinks of me as one of his people.
Rat Terrier
(Flickr user Bree Bailey, https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Rat_Terrier.jpg)
Boston Terrier
(https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Boston_Terrier#/media/File:Joe-Joe_the_Boston_Terrier_(age_2).jpg)
Side note, Puppy is part rat terrier and part Boston terrier if you were wondering. It's always possible there is some chihuahua in the mix (many people guess he is part chihuahua), but maybe not. Definitely terrier though!
I get to dogsit for him every now and then and I get terribly excited. Having a cute little furry creature be THE MOST EXCITED just because you have walked in the door is very heartwarming. He also cuddles with me at night which I just adore (plus, extra coziness). He also likes to cuddle when I watch TV which is also very sweet.
I also genuinely like taking him for walks. It gets me out of the house and it is good for me to get fresh air. Plus, Puppy does this little almost prancing thing with his feet when he walks and it's precious. Sure, picking up his poop isn't the best, but I've pretty much gotten over it.
As much as I adore him, he can be very mischievous. He knows when he isn't supposed to have something, but will try to get it anyways. One time, I was taking him for a walk in the winter and I stopped to adjust his little coat that was slipping off. When I pulled back from the three seconds I had taken to adjust the strap under his belly he had gotten a chicken bone in his mouth. Now, Puppy is a little dog so I just yanked it out of his mouth. While I was dogsitting him this time, I was getting ready to take a bath and I had my clean clothes set out, including a balled up pair of socks. When I turned around, Puppy had taken my pair of socks and was looking at me sheepishly after being caught in the act. Luckily, saying "Buehrle, no," firmly got him to drop them.
Puppy can also be a goofus. He likes to make things smell like him which results in him doing this weird wiggling scraping motion across things like the carpet, the couch, and the bedspread. He also likes to try and dig (supposedly this is because he's a terrier). I found a dog toy in the couch recently, but more strangely he tried to dig at my leg (dunno what he expected to find). He also digs at the covers to let you know that he wants to go under them. However, once he woke me up by stirring awake, climbing out from under the covers, walking up to the top of the bed, and then digging at the covers to be let under again. He also once, during this dogsitting time, signaled that he wanted to go out in the yard. So I let him out and he happily went out, but then quickly came back in. I figured he might be cold, so I put his coat on and again he happily went out, but then quickly came back in. So then I put on my coat, put some shoes on, and put his leash on and then took him into the backyard. He immediately went to the bathroom and trotted back inside, proud as can be.
What a goofus.
(Prompt by Neil Kaplan-Kelly)



Comments
Post a Comment