While the title is clearly meant to reference the infamous I Wanna Marry "Harry", this show is clearly more akin to The Bachelor. That said, I watched the first episode and here are 15 thoughts.
- If you haven't watched, the premise of Let's Marry Harry is loosely The Bachelor where the lead is a guy who has been on other reality dating shows named Harry, but instead of the expectation of getting engaged after about two months, the expectation is that Harry and one lucky(?) lady to get married at the end of month--much crazier
- Another interesting layer is that Harry will be in the same house as the ladies vying for his heart. On shows like The Bachelor, the lead usually has their own house and just the contestants bunk together. This will likely turn up the drama dial
- The final layer that is sure to add drama and separate this show from The Bachelor is that Harry has three advisors (his best friend, a friend who is like a brother to him, and his ex that he is now on good terms with) who seem to be the ones who will be deciding whom Harry goes on dates with and who goes home (though I'm sure the producers have a bigger say)
- I get confused later as Harry referred to his three advisors as the closest people in his life, but then later saying he's very close with his three sisters...did none of them want to be on the show (I could believe this)?
- So far, Harry is not giving me the best impression. While he does seem to have some moments of sincerity, it is at least a yellow flag to me that he said he wants someone "happy"--I most often hear men say this when they mean they don't want a woman who has emotions of her own that he'll have to support. However, I have not seen him on other shows so I'll give him at least another episode to have more depth
- Some of the things that the ladies said that stood out to me include a) wanting 8 kids b) saying she only knew Harry's height and astrological sign and ChatGPT said they were soulmates, so done and done c) having wanted to be a wife for a year and a half (but also referencing having had a wedding Pinterest board since college)
- One of the biggest red flags from the women was one of them talking about she and Harry could be twin flames since they're both Gemini (if you don't know why this is a red flag, consider checking out Netflix's Escaping Twin Flames)
- The most awkward interaction was with a woman who called 30-year-old self a cougar before a bird pooped on Harry (she was later surprised that she hadn't made the greatest impression and while she didn't give red flags, they're whole conversation was just not flowing)
- To Harry I'd say that it's fair enough to be suspicious of dating influencers, but I don't think you get to be surprised or judge-y about that when you are pretty much an influencer and you are on a reality show looking for love (who did you think would show up?)
- I am far from a TV or audio expert, so I always think it's bad when I can tell something is ADR (Automated Dialogue Replacement--when lines are re-recorded later and put over the footage to make it seem like it was said at the time), and I could definitely tell some ADR moments on this episode
- Personally, I do think people can be friends with their exes. That said, I can see how the women are thrown off by finding out that a) Harry has three advisors b) those advisors have been watching them this whole time c) one of those advisors is an ex who must've at least been mentioned on one of the previous shows he's been on because some of the women recognized her--because, friends is one thing, but helping you pick someone to marry in a month is another
- At least one woman made mention of being into the "rat boy" look which I have never and will never understand--also that is not Harry's look so I'm not sure why she brought it up
- Somehow this dental hygienist is making flirting about teeth work for Harry so kudos to her?
- On the first group date, I feel like a yacht is a pretty typical set up. That said, here are things that stood out to me from that date a) before eating oysters and after telling Harry she gagged last time she'd had oysters and Harry then saying "Today we're gagging!" b) most of the women seemed to not appreciate one of the other women is putting sunscreen on Harry, but I have seen reality TV shows that do not prompt the stars or contestants to put on sunscreen and it looks BRUTAL c) the first kiss happened on this date (which the women seemed to think was soon, but on comparable shows, it would've happened at the first mixer)
- I think I will watch at least one more episode, but not sure I will make it through the whole season--we'll see!
(Prompt by me)
Let's Marry Harry, Netflix
Comments
Post a Comment