15 questions I'd ask my dad if he were here, without dementia, sober, and could only answer honestly
Something my therapist recommended recently is putting the questions I wish I could've asked my dad on a page (any page), so here goes.
- Who were your friends and why did I never meet them?
- You were very smart. What did that add to (or take away from) your life?
- What made you know that you wanted to marry mom?
- What made you know that it was time to end the marriage?
- Did you ever even consider taking me on a trip? If you did, why didn't we go? If you didn't, how come you took my brother on one?
- Did you have fun with us when we were kids? What did you enjoy doing with us?
- You once told me that having kids was the best decision you ever made. Was that the truth?
- What were your wishes and hopes for me? Did you even have them?
- You wrote that your drinking made my brother and me worry. Do you think that's all it did to us? Do you think we didn't love you and thus suffered watching you suffer?
- Why didn't you show your family members support when they needed it most? I don't just mean me.
- Why did you start drinking as a teenager?
- How long did you know you were too sick?
- What other medical information did you never share and why?
- Were you ever going to tell me how your dad died? Why?
- What did you love more: drinking or us?
(Prompt by my therapist)
Photo by Sebastian Schuster on Unsplash
Comments
Post a Comment