Skip to main content

15 thoughts after watching Survivor season 51, episode 1

So, my friends and I watched the season premiere on Thursday. Here are a random collection of questions, hopes, and other thoughts on this season premiere I had after watching.

  1. Yes, jump off the boat!
  2. When Jeff said that the two themes (if you will) of the season are "permanent uncertainty" and "open era," I at first thought that meant that the show would have brand new twists and there would be no returning players (and none had been announced, so this made sense to me), but then Jeff explained later that it meant that any twist or element from any season could come back (which...isn't that always true?) and that there would be some elements in the hands of the players (he made a long speech about how at the start of the game the power transfers to the players, and I wanted them to be like "Well, we're the hosts now"--c'est la vie)
  3. I ended up feeling so bad for Lewis who ended up on exile island, had a chance to chop down a tree for an idol, but failed and ripped up his hands for nothing, and now will (presumably) join the tribe who lost someone with no allies (however, since he did call himself chaotic in his bio, I have hope that he can at least make a memorable splash). Also, when Jeff came to visit Lewis on Exile Island, I expected him to either be staying with Lewis or be offering a more unique advantage than just a regular idol (like, since Jeff said ANY element from ANY previous season could be brought back, I thought MAYBE Lewis would get a chance to win the idol that can be played AFTER votes are read)
  4. Now, I also wonder if Exile Island is going to have the element where voted out players have a chance to return to the game (no hint of that yet, but I do wonder)
  5. Jelly, I get it, Ori is hot, but you are flirting HARD really quickly--that said, I would love if two of my players end up in a successful showmance and become the new Boston Rob and Amber
  6. I was surprised that the tribes had still been pre-determined, but were not announced until some amount of time after the full cast had hung out and then more time after Lewis went to Exile
  7. I was kinda surprised that Kilby's tribe was happy with what he got since he DIDN'T GET THE FLINT, but, hey, he's one of my players so I'm glad folks like him
  8. Dev really got us all saying he loves a big dumb boy with a heart of gold (in reference to Brady)--also, Dev is such a cutie
  9. Kristin seems like she's gonna be a star (and it was wild how fast she got a fire going), but I do think she'll struggle to break an alliance when the time comes and/or with not taking it personally if an alliance member betrays her
  10. Ori, so far, seems like a bright light on his tribe--he's helpful in challenges not just for his strength, but because he knows how to be really encouraging via a pump-up speech
  11. Brady, you could learn something from Ori. You gotta find a way to express your intensity as a form of positive encouragement--just screaming at folks angrily to do better is not gonna work (he tries to justify it later by saying it's because he's actually competed before, but my friend aptly pointed out that, as a professional wrestler, he is not used to competing as part of a team). If I was a player, I'd want Brady out, but since he's on my team, I do want him to stay and earn me some points first
  12. Dev and Jelly, you were not the best alliance members to Aaliyah--not because you failed to save her, but because you didn't give her a heads up that she was in trouble so she could try and save herself
  13. I'm unsure how the "1 in 6" chances for the Shots in the Dark work since there are 10 players on each tribe, but Jeff said it was still a 1 in 6 chance, so I assume he's telling the truth
  14. There are still so many people where I'm like, "Who?"--but there were 21 starting players so I have faith I'll learn them eventually
  15. The burning question I'm left with at the end of this episode is: "Did Pat ever find her pants?"

(Prompt by me)

Survivor 51 logo, CBS/Paramount
Logo source


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

15 facts I learned from a random Wikipedia article

Original prompt: click on "Random Wikipedia Article" and write about whatever comes up (you can try 3 times and pick your favorite). For the record, I got Alejandro Estivill , Fencing at the 2011 Pan American Games – Women's épée , and Benjamin F. Jonas . I chose Benjamin F. Jonas because it was the longest of the three entries and it had a photo. He was born in Kentucky, moved to Illinois as a kid, and went to college and spent the rest of his life in Louisiana Jonas's father was a merchant and lawyer His father knew Lincoln (like they were real buds) Despite this, Jonas sided with the confederacy Not only did he side with the confederacy, but he joined the Confederate army and rose to the rank of major He went to University of Louisiana (now Tulane) Jonas was Jewish (I didn't know there were Jewish senators who served the Confederacy) He was the second Jewish U.S. Senator from Louisiana and the third Jewish Senator overall Jonas was the first Ashkenazi Jewish US...

Origin story or first issue of a superhero whose super power is geometry

Arya sat in history class and was bored. She longed to get to geometry, where things made more sense. She liked geometry so much that she had joined the math team to be able to do it more. Okay, there was also the extra time with her friends who loved math as much as she did, but some of the appeal was just the math itself. Finally the bell rang and Arya had four minutes to get to her geometry class. She passed right by the chemistry class next door where her least favorite teacher was conducting experiments. He needed to be more careful, thought Arya. The teacher had once exploded a glass beaker and not on purpose. Arya took her seat and excitedly pulled out her notebook. It was her favorite color: hot pink. She assigned her notebook and folder colors in ways that felt right to her. And since geometry was her favorite subject, she made her notebook and folder for it her favorite color. As the teacher started to go over the most common mistakes from the last quiz, Arya could've swo...

Color palette

Original prompt: "Google "color palette," pick one, and write something inspired by it." I actually Googled "color palette public domain" to be sure I could use it and found the image on this post. I used the "floral" section for my inspiraiton. The soft sunlight somehow didn't dim the shine of the fireflies. Such it was in the fae realm. Fern loved this time of day in the faewild where it wasn't quite day, but it was far from night. Fern frolicked alone in the glade as she was want to do. It didn't matter to her that her laughter carried itself alone on the breeze; she was content. She wasn't sure how long she'd been alone as she watched the suns begin to set, but it was pleasant in its own way. But then, she heard a noise. It wasn't the noise of leaves on the wind or twigs snapping from some comforting creature. It was the noise of someone approaching with grim determination. Fern wasn't sure how to ready herself to ...