Here are some short pieces based on things that have happened in my life recently.
Find Me a Find?
My first month of having an active matchmaker has been brilliantly uneventful.
At this point, I am fairly disappointed in her communication (which has been supremely minimal).
At first, I wrote to her just to confirm we were all good to go. She responded a few days later sharing that she had been out of office, but would start my weekly Friday updates on the 11th.
Well, the 11th came and went.
So, the following Tuesday, I wrote to her to check in, apologizing if I was pestering. She reassured me that I wasn't pestering and that she "normally" sent weekly updates anyways. She let me know that she had four interviews lined up with potential matches. I thanked her and waited for an update on the 18th.
Well, the 18th came and went.
So, again, on the following Tuesday, I wrote to ask for an update and acknowledged that perhaps we were still finding our rhythm (but this time I didn't apologize).
Now, the 25th has come and gone and I have not received a response.
My plan at the moment is to write to her one more time on the 29th (this coming Tuesday). If she does not provide me a substantial update by this coming Friday, then I will get in touch with the staff member who matched me with my matchmaker and ask for a new matchmaker or a refund. I was told I'd have weekly updates and I have one incredibly brief note that I had to ask for. Given how expensive this is, I'm pretty disappointed. I understand that they can't force someone to go out with me, but they can communicate how they are spending their time during the month, even if that isn't fruitful.
Sigh.
Horror's Hooks
Lately, I have been interested in horror novels. I don't often read or consume horror stories in any way, but maybe because October is near, I have felt inspired.
Usually, I prefer to consume lighter fair like romance novels, but those of not been appealing as much to me lately. I have been more drawn to twisty stories with evil--in human, monster, or a combined form.
I could also be inspired because I have been planning my Halloween party for a while now. Some of this involves looking for inspiration from various forms of horror entertainment. A few things have been interesting, but mostly I've been finding book recommendations on social media.
Right now, I'm listening to the audiobook version of Bad Cree by Jessica Johns. It begins with a young woman waking from a frightful sleep with a crow's severed head in her hand. If that's not enough to intrigue you, I don't think you and I agree on what's a good opening hook.
For TV shows, I went on a long RuPaul's Drag Race rewatch, but now it's crime documentaries. Yes, not quite the horror genre, but still horrific. I do take breaks with silly reality TV, I haven't taken this much of a dive into true crime documentaries in a while.
Anyways, if you have recommendations for horror or horror-adjacent media, let me know!
Unlockable Lock
I'm a doof.
I finally located my storage unit in the basement level of my condo complex.
The first reason that I'm a doof is that I tried the basement door and could not open it. While the map my property manager had sent me indicated that was the correct door, I went around and tried another door. That one I did get open, but it was clearly storage for other units. Then, I went back to the first door and this time my key worked.
Of course.
I then see my storage unit and there is, oddly, an interior door just hanging out at the back. That was okay though, doors don't take up too much space. I put down the moving bags full of other moving bags and went to put the lock I had on the gate.
Here's the next reason I'm a doof.
I struggled and struggled to get the bolt through the right slot, but I did it eventually. Then, I struggled and struggled to get the key out, but I did it eventually. However, I thought I should check if I could unlock the lock. Well, I had attached the lock in the worst way possible (I saw a better way part way through my subsequent struggle to get the lock unlocked) and could not unlock it.
At that point, I was due to meet a friend for our evening hang, so I left the unlockable lock as-is.
I hope that I can unlock it and put an easier lock on, but I may have to result to bolt cutters.
Good job, doof.
(Prompt by Kimisha Cassidy)
Photo by Raindrops Photography on Unsplash
Comments
Post a Comment