Here are some short pieces based on things that have happened in my life recently.
Getting to Know You
When I picked this as a title for a section of this post, I immediately thought of the song from a musical (The King and I?), but that's not what I meant to talk about.
Sometimes I worry that I'm immensely boring and/or bad at conversations. I guess I feel this way in part because I find games where you ask your friends random, but still kind of deep questions super helpful.
Why is this though? Can I not come up with questions on my own? Am I so uncreative that I can't think of fun ones? Also, how is there still so much to learn about people I've known for decades?
The answer to that last one is of course there is! We all contain multitudes that evolve over time (sometimes in sync with each other, but sometimes not), so it's not a reflection of how close I am with my friends (though my anxiety will tell me this is the case).
This section has given me an idea for a new post: "15 creative getting to know you questions"--stay tuned!
Phish Food
If you don't know (and most of you probably don't), my favorite ice cream of all time is the Ben & Jerry's flavor Phish Food.
Now I do know that the spelling of the flavor is referencing the band Phish, but I know pretty much nothing else about Phish so I have no idea if any of the elements are somehow inspired by the band (probably not, but wilder things have happened).
Phish Food is described on the pint as "chocolate ice cream with gooey marshmallow swirls, caramel swirls & fudge fish" (huh, there they spelled it "fish" and not "Phish"--probably because the fudge bits are indeed shaped like fish and not Phish).
I feel like lots of friends my age like some sort of fancier or more nuanced ice cream flavor. Chicago has a lot of ice cream shops with a variety of flavors. Some folks probably prefer a lighter flavor like pistachio or perhaps some prefer a classic like mint chocolate chip and still others may perhaps prefer the ultimate palette for a sundae--vanilla.
I guess I bring this up because I feel like Phish Food could come off as very childish given that it is a flavor a child would put together because it is, essentially, other candies and sweets in ice cream.
I don't know why my brain likes to try and make me feel bad about everything I like, but, for now, I'll just enjoy my favorite ice cream.
Sorting Art
As I continue the long unpacking process, I am unpacking the art I have. It's overall pretty eclectic--which I don't mind, but it makes it difficult to sort.
Now, I am sorting it because a few of the rooms in my new home have themes (e.g. cryptid, alligator, and [angler]fish), so I want to put the art into different piles so I know which room they'll go in. I have, however, decided to hire someone to help me decide where to put the art and the hang the wall art. In my rentals, I just kind of yolo'ed the hanging of art because I knew I'd just spackle the nail holes before I left and then the property management company would just repaint. But, if I do that in my condo then I have to repaint it and that does not excite me (although I do have some leftover paint still).
Will all the art I own end up on the walls? I guess that's unlikely, but I do have a lot more wall space now so it's certainly not impossible. I may get some new frames first--is having all the frames for my art match too much?
It's a tough call because while I do love my hodgepodge of art, I do also want some unifying features to my rooms' designs.
Wish me luck!
(Prompt by Kimisha Cassidy)
Photo by Brett Jordan on Unsplash
Comments
Post a Comment