Skip to main content

Snippets, forty-six

Here are some short pieces based on things that have happened in my life recently.

CPAP?

Last night I did my second sleep study. I think my first was in 2021? Not sure. Also, the hospital seemed to not be sure...even though I had it done there. Did I hallucinate it? Or is the medical documentation system overly confusing? I do have a guess between those two...

Anyways, as I walked the hospital halls to find the sleep clinic, one of the hospital robots wheeled past me. One, I don't like the robots at all--it was fairly creepy to encounter one in an otherwise empty hallway. Two, why did it look like it was wearing lipstick? Why is it so important for the robot to appear feminine? Also, choosing bright red lipstick for a robot just gave me the ick. Do they want someone to kiss it? I mean, I hope not, but it was weird.

Then I reached the clinic. This time, the clinician helping me was a woman (phew). Not that the man I had last time was creepy, it's just so much weirder for a man you just met to tell you he'll watch you sleep (don't even worry about it).

Her name was also Dawn which I was tempted to make a joke about how Dawn would wake me up. I didn't because I figured she'd heard that joke a million times before. But something in my brain also says, "What if I'm just that clever that no one else has thought of this joke and she'd genuinely find it funny?" Alas, we'll never know.

I was also glad that this time the bed was lower because last time I had to like hop up and down from the bed (which is even trickier when you have a bunch of wires on).

This time also seems to have yielded results. Dawn woke me up part way through the night to put a CPAP on me (just the nose version). Apparently I did well with this version and my study showed that I do indeed need it.

So, here's hoping that (once I get my CPAP) I'll finally remember what a restful night of sleep feels like.

The Chicks

Tonight I get to see my favorite band perform: The Chicks.

This will be the third time I have seen them in concert. I saw them WAY back when they were (I believe) at the United Center. That concert was not long after a lot of country music stations had turned their back on them because they had the "hot" take that "war bad" and "maybe we not war?" There's a little more to it than that, but the original incident was basically that. Anyways, I remember the lead singer, Natalie Maines, saying at the concert that she knew their Chicago fans would stick with them.

Hell yeah.

I saw them again a few years ago with a dear friend. We literally took a school bus with no air conditioning run by a local bar/restaurant/music venue out to the burbs on a supremely hot day. The bus broke down close to the venue, but we got there fine.

No regrets.

Now that friend and I are going again tonight and I'm PUMPED. I will probably spend too much on merch if they have the merch they're showing online at the venue.

I hope for a night of empowering and just excellent music.

I Fixed It!

Okay, just gonna brag a bit about doing something all by myself.

The toilet seat for my en suite bathroom had come loose. When I did a little research, it looked like I just need a new toilet seat, so I bought one (and I got a black one to match the black cabinet in the bathroom). After it arrived I was able to uninstall the broken one and install the new one all on my own.

This may seem like just a normal thing, but it it has really helped me build my confidence as a homeowner who lives alone. I can do things. I have tools and I can learn better how to use them. I can be successful.

Yes, later today I am having my stepdad come over to help with some other projects, but, as he once told me, it's okay to ask for help sometimes. Also, some of those projects will be easier for someone who is taller than 5'4" and/or easier for a pair of folks to do instead of one person alone.

But, I didn't want to ask him to change the toilet seat cause I thought that could be just too gross for him to have his face basically in my toilet. But! I was able to do it! So I didn't have to ask him for help on that one thing.

I also bought a smoke detector and carbon monoxide alarm that my stepdad, a fire protection engineer by trade, said would "probably suffice"--I know he means this as praise and I took it as such.

Anyways, where is my adulting sticker?

(Prompt by Kimisha Cassidy)

"all ready" posted by Nicole Mays. Attribution-NonCommercial 2.0 Generic.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

15 facts I learned from a random Wikipedia article

Original prompt: click on "Random Wikipedia Article" and write about whatever comes up (you can try 3 times and pick your favorite). For the record, I got Alejandro Estivill , Fencing at the 2011 Pan American Games – Women's épée , and Benjamin F. Jonas . I chose Benjamin F. Jonas because it was the longest of the three entries and it had a photo. He was born in Kentucky, moved to Illinois as a kid, and went to college and spent the rest of his life in Louisiana Jonas's father was a merchant and lawyer His father knew Lincoln (like they were real buds) Despite this, Jonas sided with the confederacy Not only did he side with the confederacy, but he joined the Confederate army and rose to the rank of major He went to University of Louisiana (now Tulane) Jonas was Jewish (I didn't know there were Jewish senators who served the Confederacy) He was the second Jewish U.S. Senator from Louisiana and the third Jewish Senator overall Jonas was the first Ashkenazi Jewish US...

Origin story or first issue of a superhero whose super power is geometry

Arya sat in history class and was bored. She longed to get to geometry, where things made more sense. She liked geometry so much that she had joined the math team to be able to do it more. Okay, there was also the extra time with her friends who loved math as much as she did, but some of the appeal was just the math itself. Finally the bell rang and Arya had four minutes to get to her geometry class. She passed right by the chemistry class next door where her least favorite teacher was conducting experiments. He needed to be more careful, thought Arya. The teacher had once exploded a glass beaker and not on purpose. Arya took her seat and excitedly pulled out her notebook. It was her favorite color: hot pink. She assigned her notebook and folder colors in ways that felt right to her. And since geometry was her favorite subject, she made her notebook and folder for it her favorite color. As the teacher started to go over the most common mistakes from the last quiz, Arya could've swo...

Color palette

Original prompt: "Google "color palette," pick one, and write something inspired by it." I actually Googled "color palette public domain" to be sure I could use it and found the image on this post. I used the "floral" section for my inspiraiton. The soft sunlight somehow didn't dim the shine of the fireflies. Such it was in the fae realm. Fern loved this time of day in the faewild where it wasn't quite day, but it was far from night. Fern frolicked alone in the glade as she was want to do. It didn't matter to her that her laughter carried itself alone on the breeze; she was content. She wasn't sure how long she'd been alone as she watched the suns begin to set, but it was pleasant in its own way. But then, she heard a noise. It wasn't the noise of leaves on the wind or twigs snapping from some comforting creature. It was the noise of someone approaching with grim determination. Fern wasn't sure how to ready herself to ...