Skip to main content

How did this artist begin carving necklaces?

George had always loved working with stone. As a small child he had collected rocks, a practice which didn't please his parents as it ended with either piles of rocks in corners of their house or small rocks getting lost in the rug, only to be found when an unsuspecting foot came across them. They didn't understand how this small brown rock was needed when he already had that small brown rock. George would try to show them how this one had a smoother feel while having a rougher shape whereas that one had a rougher feel while having a smoother shape, but they still didn't get it.

When he got older, the would try and build little structures out of rocks. He built little castles for his little action figures that his little toy trucks would knock down. He wondered if one day, when he was big, he would work with big rocks to build big things.

He did end up working in construction and while he didn't always work with rocks, he enjoyed it the best when he did. He still loved the feel of stone and he felt proud to look at what he he'd made in the end. Stone was solid, it was lasting. He could go back for decades and look at the stone homes he'd help build.

However, construction proved to be more of a dangerous job than he bargained for. He ended up injuring his hands multiple times and ended up losing the tips of some of his fingers. Construction work no longer seemed like his best plan. 

Feeling lost, he went back to his childhood habit and began collecting rocks. He was pickier now as an adult, a small brown rock was no longer enough to spark his interest. He loved the smooth look of a lot of the dark stones that were scattered around where he lived. One day, he found one that had a deep groove in it and that gave him an idea.

George brought a few of the rocks home and took out some of his tools. He put one of the stones in the vice on his workbench and took out his chisel and a large hammer. He quickly found that he could very easily carve lines into the stones. At first, he just practiced carving straight lines, getting a hang of the tools again. Then he branched out and began to draw leaves and trees and eventually his talent grew and he was able to draw spirals and then could lace them together into triskelions.

His wife and friends encouraged him to keep going and to try and sell some of his pieces. At first, he sold large slabs of stone that he'd carved intricately. These had some success, but mostly friends bought them. His wife pointed out that tourists could be a great market for him, but that large stones wouldn't appeal because no one actually wants a suitcase that feels like it's filled with rocks. She suggested he try his hands at jewelry. George was happy he'd married such a smart woman. So he set out once more and hunted for small stones that would work well as necklaces. 

Soon, he was able to set up a stand along the pier, where the ferries came in. He had some stones that he'd already carved, with the patterns he'd grown used to carving and he also learned about how to carve the ogham, an ancient Medieval, alphabet. He found that tourists loved the authenticity of it all. Stones from Ireland carved by an Irishman with ancient Irish. He carved names and even began to have ones prepped with words that held meaning to a lot of people: journey, friendship, love. 

The people who bought his jewelry were always excited to watch him work, snapping pictures and chatting happily with him, even when it was raining. It hadn't been how he'd imagined his work as a little boy, after all he wasn't working with big stones anymore, but he loved it anyways. He found that the small stones could bring as big of a smile to an adult's face as they had brought to his as a young boy and what more could he ask for?

(Prompt by Kimisha Cassidy)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica