Skip to main content

How a grey bird got partially black

"I just think the bird needs some more color, you know?" said the artist looking down at the grey bird near his feet.

"It's a bird, just leave him alone," his girlfriend said, barely looking up from her book.

"But it's just so drab," the artist huffed. When his girlfriend didn't respond, he went back to painting on his easel. This was, after all, why they were at the park. He wanted to get some work done in the great outdoors, surely that would be the inspiration he needed. And his girlfriend wanted to soak up the sun and take a deep dive into her book.

But this bird was irking him, pecking about, trying to determine if any of the paint drops were food and all the while being a plain, dull, drab grey.

"But don't you think it would just look so much better with color?" the artist asked his girlfriend impatiently.

She looked up at him, from just over the top of her book, clearly annoyed to have been taken out of her fictional world for such a question. "You could always just paint it to look the way you want," she replied, gesturing to his easel. "You art doesn't have to be literally what you see in front of you."

Had the artist been paying more attention he would've understood that she meant to paint a portrait of the bird in the idealized form that he imagined. But he was still staring at the bird, so he heard what he wanted, which was that he could paint the bird the way he wanted and his art could be literally what he saw in front of him.

"Right in front of me?" he muttered quietly.

His girlfriend, not thinking anything of the comment, moved her eyes back to her book and was quickly absorbed back into the fictional world.

The artist put down his paint brush and crouched down to his bag. He knew they had packed sandwiches for lunch, but this was more important. He took one out and picked off little bits of it. He threw some towards the bird and then created a Hansel and Gretel like trail of crumbs leading to his outstretched hand.

The unsuspecting grey bird happily hopped along, eating up bits of sandwich until it was eating right out of his hand. Moving quickly, the artist snatched up the bird and held it by its feet. He dramatically grabbed his paint brush and began his work. Bold black wings would make the bird look majestic when it flew. A black head and chest would command attention, of this the artist was sure. He worked quickly, because the bird was getting increasingly scared and struggling against his grip.

When he had finished, he thrust his bird-filled hand towards his girlfriend triumphantly. "What do you think of this piece?" he asked confidently. There could only be one reaction: awe at his bold new take on what art truly is and what can be a canvas.

At first she raised her eyes slowly from her book, clearly finishing a sentence before looking up, but here eyes quickly went wide. "What did you do?!" she screamed. "Let it go!"

"You're right," the artist said proudly, "let all take in my work." He released the bird and it flew away as fast as it could. The artist thought it looked so striking against the grey sky. Before, he thought, it would have simply vanished.

"No, what did you do to that poor bird? That isn't art, that's just cruel," his girlfriend said, slamming her book shut.

"But," the artist started confusedly, "it was so boring. I made it better."

"Sometimes things are meant to be the color they are," she said exasperatedly, "The bird may needed to have been grey for survival."

"Oh," the artist said quietly, "But did you at least think it looked better?"

(Prompt by Kimisha Cassidy)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica