Skip to main content

Three swans following their target, waiting for their chance

"Goddammit, Dennis, he's going to notice us," muttered Clark to the fellow swan who was the worst and swimming nonchalantly. This, of course, made Steve perk up because it meant he wasn't going to be the one to ruin the surprise.

"I'm swimming normally," Dennis said back in a voice that was hardly a whisper.

Dammit, Dennis, Clark thought again. The plan wasn't a good one, he'd give them that, but it was tradition. On your birthday, you were suppose to get dunked by your friends. Goofy? Sure. Immature? Definitely. Fun? Absolutely (when it wasn't your birthday). But it was Richard's birthday and, stupidly, Clark had asked Dennis and Steve to help.

If only Sam had been free. Sam knew the fine art of subterfuge. But Sam had some cygnets and now was too busy to dunk a friend on their birthday. Dammit, Sam.

"Am I doing okay?" asked Steve in a voice that, while quieter than Dennis's, was still not a whisper. Thank god that they were still pretty far from Richard and that it was a noisy day in the city.

"Yes, fine, just shush," Clark whispered.

"What?" Steve almost yelled, prompting Richard to turn his head back to look at them for a moment. Dammit, Steve. Luckily, a passerby threw some bread Richard's way and he quickly turned away from them again.

The thing about this tradition was that, while every swan new it happened, it was still supposed to be a surprise. You weren't meant to just float and wait for three of your friends to come along and dunk you. They were supposed to plan it so you didn't see it coming. But this year Richard's birthday had snuck up on Clark and the plan hadn't improved much from 'what if we just follow him and wait.' Dammit, Clark.

If they had been closer when the bread was thrown, it could've been a perfect moment, but Richard quickly ate up the few bits of bread and went back to just people watching and craning his neck elegantly so they would take photos of him. Richard really could be vain little cob now that Clark thought about it. Dammit, Richard.

Clark abruptly stopped. "Okay we need a better plan, guys. This isn't going to work."

"Oh shut up, Clark. Someone else will throw something in soon enough and then we just have to swim really fast to catch up-" Steve began to say unhelpfully.

"That' won't work. I think one of us should go up and start a conversation with him and then the other two can sneak up," Clark said as surreptitiously as he could.

"Brilliant!" cried Steve, shaking his tail feathers in excitement.

"I got it," said Dennis, ruffling his feathers in preparation. Before Clark , could object, Dennis was truly terrible at small talk, off Dennis went.

"Richard, good to see you!" called Dennis.

"Dennis," nodded Richard.

"So, are you having a normal time today?"

"Am I what?" Richard craned his neck back far in confusion.

"You know is everything normal. Does everything seem normal on this very normal day where nothing is going on," Dennis finished quickly.

Clark and Steve made their approach, hoping to take Richard's confusion for the distraction they needed, but as they moved to pounce, Richard just scooted a little ways away leaving them to splosh head first into the water.

"Guys," said Richard, slightly amused, "you know my birthday was yesterday."

Dammit.

(Prompt by Kimisha Cassidy)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica