Skip to main content

Wind storms

The wind assailed the coast. throwing daggers of rain at all who dared go near it. Farther inland, sheets of rain ran sideways, knocking over leaves and snapping umbrellas the wrong way. The wind tumbled and twisted and snagged through tree branches, snapping off the weaker limbs and even totaling the older trees. People stayed inside, they had been warned, if not by a look at the weather forecast, than at the wails and howls from outside their windows.

What most didn't know, however, was that these storms signaled the arrival of banshees. Banshees brought the storms with them, an omen before an omen. Those who knew the lore took time to make good on all promises, good and bad, for soon the banshees' shrieks would join the winds'.

Banshees felt most powerful int he wind. The way it carried their haunting voices, the way it whipped their stringy hair into a frenzy appropriate for harbingers of Death. People feared them, but all they were were Death's messengers. Death itself was beyond their control.

But the storms were not. They used them to pummel sleepy towns and large cities alike. No matter how many times they came, there were always some who were surprised, some who were blown off course.

But this was the way of the banshees. They had no need to explain themselves to anyone, except Death, and they never disobeyed Death. When they let the storm start to subside is when they'd make their calls. The flock would scatter to the houses of those descended from the lucky few old and noble families who had a member bound for the grave. When the found the proper homes, they would scream and tear at their hair, for Death was coming and all inside the home must know. They should prepare. They should say last rites.

Modern families who no longer believed in such things should shut their windows and draw their curtains. Surely the noise was just the wind, nothing more. Wind could damage, but it was a far cry from a signal of death. Shutting out banshees makes no difference, ignoring a letter doesn't change that it was sent and, once sent, it can't be unsent; once a bell has rung, no one can unring it.

Those who did know what the sounds at their window truly were, those who had noticed that only their home still had the swirl of a terrifying wind, would gather together and say their prayers. The banshees were not detailed in their proclamations of fate, no one in the homes knew whom Death would take, or how many. The families would make a meal and dine together, spend every moment they could with warmth and kind words. They knew they couldn't change Death's mind, but they could be peaceful before Death was at their door.

There were a few who did hear the cries, but thought they could outsmart Death. They would flee their homes and run head first into the storms, seeking shelter elsewhere, somewhere not marked as theirs, somewhere they could slip into anonymity. But Death would always find them on that road and would use the wind the banshees had brought to sweep them off their feet and into their fate. Death's mind cannot be altered.

As I listened to the wind rush past my window, rattling the small trees across the street and read the warnings to stay indoors, I wondered if I could hear anything else. If there were any voices, or screams, being carried to me on the wind, or if it was merely my imagination.

(Prompt by Neil Kaplan-Kelly)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica