Skip to main content

If I won the lottery

Winning the lottery is one of the those day dream fantasies I often find myself in. Who doesn't want to just get a ton of money out of pure luck? How much easier would my life be? Some people probably think about all of the extravagant things they'd buy, but I guess my fantasy ends up being a bit more practical.

I would first pay off my student loan immediately. Then, I would probably check with my family and see if they had any loans that needed paying off. I guess I just think clearing debts is a good first step when you get a ton of money.

Honestly, next I would probably set aside enough money for me to attend another master's program after this one finishes. If I could reasonably afford multiple master's degrees, I would get them. I'm loving being back in school again and there is so much more that I want to learn. Not that I would want to stay in school forever, but I could stand another year or two. Or maybe more in the future.

Probably next I would set aside enough money to put two kids through college. While these future kids of mine are a little ways off, college is one of the largest expenses out there right now, so if that was taken care of, a lot of my future would be set. Maybe I'd make sure I had enough money for four kids (which is the highest number of kids I could see myself having).

Now, the extravagant thing I would do would probably be to organize a vacation for me and my friends with me footing the bill. Now this wouldn't be the most insanely expensive vacation because, at a certain point, I don't see the difference between expensive and insanely expensive hotel rooms, food, etc. But, we could fly first class and stay at a nice air bnb. I'm not sure where I'd have us go, but I guess I'd want it to be somewhere I haven't been before and where they haven't been before. Belize has been on my list for a while now so maybe there? Or probably several countries (hey I've won the lottery, I can afford it!).

After the vacation though, I'm afraid that I'd be rather boring. I'd ask a financial advisor how much I should put into my retirement account, how much into investments, how much into savings, and how much into checking. With whatever spending money I have form this, I would probably like to buy people nice presents for their birthdays and Christmas. Again, this probably doesn't mean like a Tesla, but there are often presents that I wish I could get for people that are just beyond my price range, but hopefully that wouldn't be a problem anymore.

If I still had an insane amount of money (lottery winnings do seem to vary a bit and then there are those pesky taxes), I would probably buy a house in Chicago so that I'd always have a home there and when I wasn't there I would just rent it out. Ideally, it would be close to the lake and have a yard (I do long to get a dog which is probably something else I would get, but my dog would still be a shelter dog, I would just spoil them to bits).

I guess there is also a superstitious side to me that would also have me buy another lottery ticket. I mean, it worked once, right?

(Prompt by Kimisha Cassidy)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the