Skip to main content

Object on my desk

My desk is actually fairly cluttered at the moment, so I had trouble deciding what item to pick. However, most of the objects on my desk are relatively new acquisitions or don't have much of a story to them (although, what tub of paperclips does have an interesting tale?).

Ultimately, I decided to write about the framed photo on my desk. Now, most people might expect that a framed photo you bring with you to a new country would be of your dearest friend or family member, but no. Mine is of a dog. Not my dog, because I don't own a dog, but the dog that I love oh so dearly: my friends Emily and Joey's dog, Buehrle (pronounced like 'burly'). He's an adorable dog who snagged my heart a while ago (so much so that I even had a weekly walking date with him when I was in Chicago).

Buehrle is a Boston terrier and rat terrier mix. He's also a very good boy. Except, to be honest, when he's not. He can be a sneaky little dog. I remember one of the times I had been charged with taking him for a walk, it was a bit of a colder day so he was wearing his oh-so-stylish coat. It had begun to slip off, so I stopped, crouched down, and readjusted it. In that about one second that I wasn't looking at his face, Buehrle managed to get a chicken bone in his mouth. I wrenched it out and he was fine, but still. Sneaky puppy (I do also mostly call Buehrle 'Puppy' and he knows it).

I don't think I'll ever be over that Puppy knows my name (Emily tells me he hasn't forgotten it and still perks up when she says my name). It was a great first step when he would sit on my lap (I think this happened around my birthday, what an excellent present). Then I eventually got to pick him up (or 'scoop' as we say to Puppy). He also learned that I belonged in his apartment. Puppy likes to think of himself as a guard dog, so he'll bark at someone who comes in if both of his people are home, but he stopped barking at me. He even was usually on his hind legs when I opened Emily and Joey's apartment door. What a sweet boy.

I miss Puppy a lot. It turns out cuddling a fluffy little creature that is just ecstatic that you have entered a room is incredibly uplifting. I would even get Puppy visits if I had just had a bad day. A few times I just asked if I could pop over to get cuddles (the answer was always yes).

Emily, being a wise lady, knew that this would happen. So when she threw me a going away brunch, she had a gift for me (well actually two gifts, but one of those isn't on my desk, it's in my closet because it's an alligator scarf, but seriously how amazing is that?). She gave me a framed photo of Puppy. He is outside and looking quite dignified in the bright sun. The frame itself has various dog themed carvings around it (bones, paw prints, and the word WOOF). I was so excited and was determined to find room in my suitcase for it (this didn't prove too hard as framed photos don't take up too much room, I was more grateful that nothing broke the glass on the long flight and subsequent cab and bus rides).

The photo sits at the corner of my desk just below some outlets. I can see the photo from my bed, but it is angled so that it's almost facing the door to my bedroom (it's almost as if he greets me when I walk in). I also have my pop vinyls for Jon Snow and Ghost sitting with the photo as they seemed the appropriate choice of figurines who would understand the love I have for a very good doggo. I also hide my camera battery charger behind it, but that's just because there is room there.

I do find it a bit funny that this is my only framed photo that I have with me (I do have 13 other photos up, but they are either on a magnetic photo line thing or stuck up with blutack, which is also pink and not blue but whatever). I joked with Emily that people would see the photo and be like, "Aw, is that your dog?" And I'd just have to be like, "No."

In the end, Puppy isn't my dog, but I do love him like he is. I can't wait to see him when I'm home in December (I think I'm even going to get to dogsit him again :D).

(Prompt by Kimisha Cassidy)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the