Skip to main content

Peculiar farmers market

Frida was finally at the farmers market this Sunday, like her dad had been asking her to for about a year. Her dad had, since retiring, really gotten into farmers markets. He had begun to extol their unending virtues and had served her dish after dish that he proudly told her had come from ingredients solely purchased at the farmers market.

At first, it had just been the farmers market down the street that he went to, but now he was becoming a farmers market connoisseur. He went all over the city and, sometimes, even all over the state to visit the best of the best. He told Frida all about how they had different schedules and different specialties and how the winter was the most difficult, but there were a few indoor markets that he could visit, but they just weren't as good. After all, he told her, some of what you go for is the atmosphere and you don't get much atmosphere at an indoor market.

Frida had never been one for cooking and, while she enjoyed eating, had never really been one for fresh vegetables. She couldn't really think of the last time she went shopping for fresh vegetables. She didn't see the appeal, especially as she could buy frozen ones that would last way longer for a fraction of the price. So she had avoided going with him for ages. But, this time, when Father's Day rolled around, she knew it would be the best gift to her dad to go to the market with him, buy some ingredients, and cook a meal with him. And she was right. When she told him what her plan was for Father's Day he burst into the biggest smile she had ever seen.

So here she was. Outside, wishing she was asleep, and on the hunt for ingredients. She decided on getting coffee first. She had managed to beat her dad to the market so she hoped he wouldn't mind her getting a bit of a head start.

After she got the coffee, she saw a text from her dad that said he was running late and that she should see what ingredients "called out to her" and he would help her pick things that went along with them. Frida sighed heavily into her coffee cup and muttered to some force to give her strength for this day. After a few sips of coffee, and reminding herself that this day was for her dad so she should stop moping, she felt refreshed and ready for the market.

She wandered a bit at first, taking in stall after stall. She most wanted to visit the stalls with baked goods, but she knew that wasn't what her dad wanted, so she found her way to a man selling an assortment of vegetables. Most of them she recognized, but then there was one she didn't.

She stooped down and looked at the little green thing. It looked almost like a long, more cylindrical cluster of grapes, but made up of itty bitty, nearly perfectly spherical balls of delicate, green leaves. Towards the top, large leaves shot out from thick stems. Frida was confused as to how there could be these little balls of leaves and then such large crinkly ones on the same plant. Don't plants just have one type of leaf?

She looked around and didn't see a label on this plant, but, then again, most plants at the market didn't have labels. Not wanting to seem dumb, she decided to get this bizarre looking plant for her and her dad to eat. He couldn't have tried this before, it was so odd. She decided to get the whole cluster, the idea was to make a feast after all. The farmer was kind and sold it to her for what she took to be a good price.

Frida's phone pinged to let her know that her dad had arrived at the market. She put her purchase in her tote bag and made her way to the entrance that her dad said he was at. When she approached, he smiled at seeing that she had already bought something.

After they hugged, Frida triumphantly took her purchase out of her bag. She was about to proudly proclaim that she'd stumped him when his smile got even bigger.

"Why, Frida, I thought you hated Brussels sprouts! I'm so glad you're willing to try them again. Come, I know just the thing to go with them." He grabbed her arm and tugged her towards another stall.

Frida inwardly frowned. She did hate Brussels sprouts.

(Prompt by Kimisha Cassidy)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the