Skip to main content

Postcard

Brian loved taking photos of his hometown. It was a small quirky little town, but it had a lot of beauty. It was also on a pretty major route to a national park, so they also got a fair few tourists stopping by. Eventually, the town caught on that it should exploit the tourist industry and start making some town merchandise.

The mayor called a town meeting to discuss the matter (as they did with most things). They agreed that probably the most popular items would be shot glasses (because collecting these is apparently a thing) and postcards (people loved to have a ready to go snapshot of where they've been). The shot glasses, they decided, would have the town crest on them (as would some of the postcards). Considering the town crest had a grizzly bear on its hind legs on it, Brian thought that they would do very well with tourists.

But then came the matter of the postcards. The town agreed there should be a variety so that people would consider buying more than one. After some debate, it was decided that the towns local shutterbugs would each submit a few photos and one of each of theirs would be chosen as a design. Brian was happy to be known as one of the town's most prolific shutterbugs, so he was ecstatic about the challenge he'd been tasked with.

He started out the next morning, DSLR in hand. He hopped into the middle of Main Street when it was clear to snap a shot (he was planning on lining it up with an historic photo of the town's Main Street). Brian continued his walk around town and was sure to get some photos of the plants that were common in the area (people love postcards of flowers, right?).

Brian continued his photo walk all day long, stopping at a local diner to recharge his camera's battery (and snap pictures of the homemade pies). He decided to keep going even after the sunset as some night shots of the town could end up playing well. Brian walked along a major trail in the woods next to the town, making his way to a famous vista point.

That's when he saw it. There were large, glowing near-neon yellow eyes staring down at him. At first, Brian blinked, thinking they must surely just belong to an owl. But they were too large, they were nearly the size of saucers. As Brian stood frozen, he continued to stare at the eyes. Slowly, Brian's eyes adjusted more to the dark and he saw a lumbering and bristling fur-covered body. It was moving diagonally across his path, staring at him, but making no move towards him.

A switch flicked in his head and he remembered that he had his camera with him. As he raised the camera, the creature began to sprint at terrific speed. Brian snapped as many photos as he could anyways. Reviewing the shots, he did manage to capture a few with the haunting yellow eyes.

He submitted one to the postcard committee (along with a few other photos he'd taken) and began to talk to people in town, asking if they had seen the creature in the woods. The mayor, upon seeing the photo, called another town meeting.

Brian hoped the town meeting would be about the existence of this creature, the pooling of knowledge about it, and perhaps even organizing a search party to go find it. But he was a bit disappointed. The topic was actually on if they wanted to brand the town a cryptid destination. Did they have enough local stories to sustain it? Would Brian consider leading a tour? What would they call the creature?

In the end, the town of Little Fork decided that yes, they would became the town with the Yellow-eyed Wolfman and watch as the tourists rolled in.

(Prompt by Kimisha Cassidy)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica