Skip to main content

Watching seeds grow

Ms. Himple's first grade class was going to do a bit of practical learning. At least, that's what she had decided. She wanted the class to really engage with the work and get their hands dirty (although, to be fair, how clean are six and seven year-olds' hands in general?). They had been talking about the seasons, with a focus on Spring as that was the season they were in. This had led to them talking a lot about plants and how they grow.

With an idea in mind, she spoke to the principal about an idea she had. There was an area on the east side of the school that wasn't really utilized. It was too small for any playground equipment so it just sat as a patch of grass. Ms. Himple spoke to the principal and asked if she could take it over as a garden for her class. She had written up a budget for the tools and supplies she'd need and pointed out that it was a great chance for hands on learning as well as for the kids to see how they could make a difference at the school. She had a few other positive points, but the principal being the busy woman that she was, cut her off and said it sounded like a great idea and approved the expenses.

Ms. Himple had then had to spend some time getting the little plot of land ready for seeds, but she had enjoyed working on this. She knew her kids were going to love the garden.

Finally, the day had come that she got to tell the class about the idea. All of them beamed and excitedly chose what they wanted to plant. Many kids picked bright flowers, but a few chose some fruits and vegetables, and Jack decided he would plant beans so he could be Jack and the Beanstalk.

They set out to work in the garden and got everything planted in a haphazard lines. Ms. Himple had every kid stand by where they'd planted their seeds and snapped a picture to send out to the parents. Her idea was to keep taking these pictures as the plants grew.

Throughout the weeks, she wrapped more activities and lessons into the garden because the kids seemed to cherish it so. She had the kids write short stories that took place in the garden (these varied from just describing when they planted everything to fairies and dinosaurs rampaging through their garden). She then worked with them to make little signs to mark where each of their plants were and included their names. They continued to watch the plants grow and be sure to water them.

As the year went on, Ms. Himple kept taking photos of the class and at the end of the year she made a little flipbook to give out to every kid. They smiled and hugged her goodbye.

Over the Summer, parents asked if Ms. Himple would be interested in starting a little gardening club so that their kids could keep up with their plants (they seemed to have grown quite attached concerned moms and dads shared). Delighted, Ms. Himple agreed and so the club began the following fall (Ms. Himple kept up the garden over the summer). They continued to tend their plants, connect with the idea of gardening, and bond with each other (some had been split up into different classrooms). All along the way, Ms. Himple kept taking pictures.

The club managed to keep going until the students went off to college, but Ms. Himple kept up the little garden. She did similar projects with other classes, but she liked having this first garden to stay as-is.

When she reached 65, Ms. Himple was ready to retire. She had loved her life of teaching, but it was time to relax. The school threw her a party and invited some of her old students. When she walked into the party, she began to cry.

There, standing at the front of the crowd, were all of her original little gardeners. They were holding a large print of a photo they had taken earlier that day of them back in their garden. Full grown adults who had grown up, had careers (many, Ms. Himple would be happy to later learn, were related to protecting the Earth), and had built their own lives, but who all remembered their time in Ms. Himple's garden.

(Prompt by Kimisha Cassidy)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the