Skip to main content

Rules to follow when at sea

1. The ship should be treated with kindness
Beware ye who does not treat a ship with kindness. Those who do not appreciate what they have are sure to lose it. Ships do not mind the idea of being scattered at sea, they love being one with the water and do not fear joining it forever. It is for you that they stay together and afloat, but if you do not treat them well then they are liable to do as they please. A ship that does as they please is a danger. Without warning, the ship will sink or splinter or simply stop moving. But, if you treat your ship with kindness, they will always do their best to take care of you. Storms may still splinter or sink the ship, but the ship will fight for you and fight to keep you safe. It seems a small price for a ship to ask that you treat them with kindness.

2. Not all waters are good
This one seems as though it should be obvious. There is no one thing of which all are good. Not all apples are good, not all wine is good, not all people are good, and not all waters are good. Some waters are filled with creatures that would eat you alive if given the chance. These are best sailed with care. Some are stormier and windier than others and almost seem to demand a sacrifice from you. Often, a sacrifice of some cargo or supplies is worth the sacrifice of moving safely through them. Some waters are plagued by the wars of men. This is not their fault, of course, but it means they are dangerous places to sail or even skirt past. Some waters are deeper than others. How deep is their abyss? Is there a bottom? Some waters are murkier than others and it is thus impossible to tell what lies within them. What skeletons do they hold? Will they soon hold yours?

3. Don't look deeper than you absolutely have to
It has been said to be careful when looking into an abyss, for it also looks into you. This is just as true for a watery one as any other. Sometimes, it is more true. There are creatures that lurk just below the surface and the deeper you go, the more creatures there are. Staring into your soul may be the least of what they can do to you. The closer you look to the surface and the deeper you dive, the more exposed you are to the sea's animals. Look deeply and stay still long enough and they, or at least their teeth, are sure to find you.

4. A sudden shallow means something is beneath you
This may come off as a basic fact as something is always beneath you whether or not the water is shallow or not. However, this rule is an important one to remember as a sudden change in depth can signal danger. If could be as simple as a sand bar, but sand can snag your ship faster than you'd dare dream. A much more dangerous kind of shallow is one caused by a living creature. You may end up harming an innocent, but vast, animal that simply happened beneath you or you may end up being flipped and swallowed by a starving creature. Regardless, always take care in shallow waters for you know not what lies beneath you.

5. Never sail alone at night
While night is one of the most beautiful times to be out on the water, it is also one of the most dangerous. The creatures that live in the sea can see far better in the dark than you can and shining a light, while allowing you temporary sight, robs you of your night vision. Other sailors who seek to do harm also tend to prey upon those who sail at night. They sail in groups and pick out the easiest prey that they can, which is often lone sailors. Take care to never be one of these sailors. For if you sail alone at night and fall in the water, who will find you? None who wish you well. Who will keep you awake at the helm? None. Who will keep you grounded when the sea and sky merge into one dark mass? None. Who will search the skies for a sense of direction with you? None. Company is best kept at such times.

(Prompt from writing.prompt.s)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica