Skip to main content

Shoe hospital

"We may still be able to save the tongue if we hurry! Hand me the--thank you. We need to see if this is a deep scar or if it's just at the surface...oh, thank god, it can be saved if we just--"

"You're being ridiculous, Richie," sighed Melissa heavily. "It's just a shoe."

"Hey, I'm just trying to have some fun with this job," laughed Richie as he continued to work on the tongue of the shoe that had been turned in to the shoe hospital the two of them worked at.

"Well, do it a bit more quietly. I need to focus."

"On shoes? Do they really require our full attention?"

"I, perhaps unlike you, like to do a good job."

"Hey, I like to do a good job."

"Oh come on," Melissa said, rolling her eyes, "you don't take this job seriously."

"Well do you? We call ourselves a hospital, isn't that a bit stupid?"

Melissa shrugged her shoulders, "Sure I'm not gonna pretend that our job is as important as someone who works in a real hospital, but the word is just used so people know what we are--"

"Saying 'shoe repair' would do that too--"

"If you'd let me finish, you'd've heard me say that it also grabs people's attention and all businesses try to do that. I don't think it's so dumb."

"Okay, but all we do, Melissa, is fix shoes. It's kinda a dumb job."

"Toldja you don't take the job seriously." Melissa shrugged again and kept working on the shoe she had. In fact, she hadn't stopped working during the whole conversation.

"And you think it's not dumb? Come on." Richie put down the shoe he was working on for dramatic effect.

"No, I don't think it's dumb for people to want things repaired."

"Oh but these people could just buy new shoes." Richie saw the kinds of people who came in here, they had far more money than Melissa or Richie did. They could so easily have just bought new shoes, why bother with repair?

"But doesn't that tell you something?"

"Okay, I'll bite, what does it tell me?" Richie asked, making the tongue of the shoe move as though it was talking.

Melissa rolled her eyes again before replying. "It tells you that they value these shoes for some reason or at least the idea of not throwing something out because it needs a bit of care."

"And?"

"And I happen to think that's nice and that that means we are doing something important for these people because, you're right, most of these people could just so easily just buy another pair of shoes, but these shoes mean enough to them that they choose to keep paying for them to be fixed. There are some pairs of shoes I've seen in here five times or more and sometimes the clients tell me that the shoes were the ones they wore to their wedding or were given to them by their grandmothers and I like being able to help people fix things that mean something to them."

"Okay...I guess--"

"Wait, I'm not done. And for those where they just value something being fixed, I also like that idea. We have so much waste and garbage in this world and even if the shoes don't hold some deep sentimental value for them, they clearly think that maybe we shouldn't waste a pair of shoes that could be just fine with a little bit of attention. So yeah, I also like those clients. Now this doesn't mean that clients can't be difficult and that sometimes the shoes smell and that some of the repairs are tricky, but I guess I think it all means something."

Richie was quiet for a moment. He observed Melissa and noticed, perhaps for the first time, that she looked rather serene while working and that she had been able to form all of these articulate points while trying to repair a heel. "You make some good points," he admitted.

"I know I do," she said, smiling.

"Does this mean I have to start taking this job more seriously?"

"I'd appreciate it."

"Can I still do the hospital joke sometimes?"

"How about once a month?"

"Twice a week."

"Once every two weeks."

"Twice every two weeks."

"You mean once a week?" Melissa asked, quirking an eyebrow.

"On average, but I want wiggle room to make two jokes in a week and then skip a week."

Melissa rolled her eyes, "Okay, fine."

"Then hand me that glue, stat!"

(Prompt by Kimisha Cassidy)
Photo by Thomas Hawk
https://www.flickr.com/photos/thomashawk/30856488494/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica