Skip to main content

The cow who became a matador

Bessie thought her life would be confined to the farm forever. It's what her mom had done and her mom before her and so on and so forth as far back as cow oral history went. Her mom and grandmother had always gold her it was a good life. You relax, eat, roam within the fences, have adorable calves, and provide milk for both the calves and for the farmers. But Bessie could see that there was life beyond the farm.

The bulls of the farm would sometimes be pulled into bull fights. Luckily, these bullfights did not end in the killing of the bull, but just in the mock killing of a bull. It was a symbolic victory the matadors took in these cases where the matadors hit the bulls with prop swords so it looked like they were stabbed, but were left unharmed. The bulls, including Bessie's father, grandfather, brothers, cousins, and uncles all enjoyed getting wide range of the farm and then got to travel to arenas. They brought back tales of grand crowds, loud cheers, and sights and smells beyond Bessie's imagination.

One night, Bessie hatched a plan. She knew the bulls were being rounded up to go to the fights the next morning. Bessie decided she would hide in the crowd and get taken to the arena too. She thought the bulls might turn her in, but she figured it was just a chance she had to take. To her surprise, her brothers were proud of her cunning plan and helped shift her into the center of the crowd so that the farmers wouldn't notice her.

Bessie was amazed at the city. There were so many tall buildings, so many colorful people, and there were so many smells and sounds that she'd never experience before. She paused when they got to the arena. Now it was time to see if her plan would work. As they were herded out of the truck, someone approached her and moved her out of the crowd. Out of some bit of fear, Bessie stood on her hind legs.

"Whoa! Do you see this cow?" asked the person to a crowd of other arena workers.

"If the cow can stand...do you think we could get her in a uniform?"

Bessie wasn't quite sure what was happening, but the people quickly spoke to the farmers and reached some sort of deal. Then there was a flurry of people around her and bright colored fabric. She was then led to a group of the matadors. She realized with a smile that she was dressed just like them. She felt proud to be included in their number.

Bessie got to watch the first few rounds with other matadors and thought she would just be brought out as a kind of mascot, but then she was put into the arena with one of her brothers. Remembering what got her there in the first place, she stood on her hind legs and waved the cape that was tied to her front hooves. Her smugly charged thinking he could best her easily, but she was able to trick him at the last minute and get out of his way just in time.

The crowd went wild when the match finally ended when her brother lay himself down, exhausted. Not quite knowing how to end it, she decided to dramatically lay her cape across him.

Afterwards, the people talked to the farmer again and a deal was quickly struck. Bessie was so popular and had gotten such raving fans that she would come every time the farmer brought bulls and she would be trained by a matador in the meantime to be able to perform more tricks.

As Bessie looked at her new life, she was proud, happy, amazed, and baffled all at the same time. Bessie would become a legend not only among her family and at her farm, but for cows and bulls everywhere. For when else had a cow ever become a matador?

(Prompt by Elena Westbrook)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica