Skip to main content

What can you make furniture out of?

I recently learned that furniture can be made out of cardboard. I guess I shouldn't have been too surprised by this because I had seen a cardboard bike before and I've definitely used a box as a bedside table, but for some reason I was a bit surprised. If cardboard can be used to make furniture, what else can?

Obviously, I have seen furniture made out of plastic, glass, metal, wood, rope (if you count hammocks).,and stone, but if cardboard is another material, there must be others. I guess you could make furniture out of living plants, right? I feel like this shouldn't be too hard. You can make plants grow in a certain way so I feel like making seats or tables out of living plants would be doable. Also, moss and other plants are very soft so you could probably make the furniture pretty comfy. Now, these would be hard to move as there would be roots, but either they could just be outside or they people would just have to deal with them being difficult to move (I mean lots of things are difficult to move, but people still have them).

I wonder if you could knit some furniture. I realize a lot couldn't be made out of knitting, but maybe like a beanbag chair? It would take a lot of knitting, I know, but think of how comfy it could be. Also, think of how accomplished you would feel seeing such a large knitting project done?

Books seem like they'd be a pretty good material. I realize that books are made of paper (which actually could also be a material, but more on that in a second), but since they're already in brick-like form I feel like they'd be easy to use. Tables, desks, chairs, and bed frames could all be easily made with books.

Paper is also definitely a possibility. I realize that this is just a relative of cardboard, but still I think it counts as a new kind of material. Paper can be folded or wrapped to be pretty tight and stiff so it could be made to make desks and other stiff type furniture. This may require some kind of like glaze or varnish or something to last longer, but that should be okay.

I wonder if you could just use paint for things. Now it would require a mold of some kind, but couldn't I make a desk with a mold and just pouring paint into it? Maybe it wouldn't be a good idea to put a lamp on top of it (as I imagine it'd melt), but a lot of these would be bad ideas to have electric lamps on top of.

I think I may have actually also seen a bench or something made out of mud and something else (my memory is clearly failing me). But I bet you could easily use mud or sand or some form of clay (actually this has probably been done, hasn't it?) to make furniture. Now this may be best as outside furniture cause I'm not sure how well you could prevent dirt coming off on clothes, but also maybe they would be destroyed by the weather. Hrm, maybe a glaze of some kind would be put over it to prevent any problems?

Now, because of an episode of friends, I also wonder if you could make furniture out of cheese. This seems possible as you can buy it in bricks and a lot of cheese is pretty hard. Now, mold would obviously be a problem, but maybe they could just be a temporary piece of furniture. Other food could be used too I think. Chocolate for sure, although that is definitely coming off on clothes, so maybe a table would be the best kind of furniture. I feel like stale bread could be carved into furniture. Crackers also could be used, but dear god that would take forever to build something because the bricks are so small.

I'm probably missing some obvious ones, but what do you think, have I missed any? Would you buy any of the kinds of furniture I propose?

(Prompt by Kimisha Cassidy)
India First Cardboard Furniture By Amrish J Kawa. Photo by Ambrishraja. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Cardboard_Furniture.jpg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica