Skip to main content

Zombies or college students?

Lily was tired, but this was nothing new. It was the perpetual curse of grad students, or students in general, it seemed. She rubbed her eyes blearily and only stopped because her email pinged yet again. God, will the undergrads stop asking me questions? her annoyed and sleep deprived mind thought. It was 2am and she still kept getting emails from the students in her study sessions. Sometimes, in her tired moments, she wondered if the money off her tuition was even worth being a TA. Although, when she was thinking clearly she knew that, of course, the answer was yes.

She switched to her email tab and was mildly shocked to see that the email wasn't from one of her students. It was a message from the school saying that there had been an outbreak of measles on campus and that some of those infected had been studying in the post grad room. Great, she thought, just what I need. She deleted the email and got back to work.

After just a few hours of sleep, it was time for Lily to go to campus. She dredged herself out of bed and dressed quickly and sloppily because who really cared? She knew she hadn't washed her hair in too long and hadn't showered yesterday, but who had time for such luxuries? She hauled her ass to campus and saw many students in the same state as her. They all shambled into line at the campus's coffee source. Normally, Lily listened to something as she waited for her first caffeine injection of the day, but she'd forgotten to download the latest podcasts so she resorted to zoning out.

A bit of conversation between two female grad students snagged her away from falling asleep where she stood.

"Yeah and you know that dude in my class who has been creepily after me since we did a group project together?"

"The one who sent you like 40 unanswered messages in one night? Yeah, of course."

"Ugh so I was out late last night and he staggers out of some alley--"

"Gross, you know he was probably peeing it."

"Yeah, for sure. But anyways he comes staggering out of the alley and lumbers up to me, clearly super drunk."

"Classy, my dude."

"He then just like groans at me and I try to ignore him and walk away--"

"Solid plan."

"Yeah but then as I got just ahead of him he like wrapped his arms around me and bit my neck!"

"That's vile!"

"Right?"

Creeps sure are getting bold these days, thought Lily idly as the warm cup of steaming coffee was placed in her hand. She was glad the creeps she'd run into had never bitten her. There, she thought, there's my positive thought for the day.

She then plodded down to her reserved study space in the library and locked herself in. She really found that this was the best place to study. It had all the books she needed, it was silent, but it wasn't too far from additional caffeine injections.

A few times as she studied, the lights seemed to go on and off, as though there was a problem with the power, but they always came back on so she didn't pay too much mind. She emerged, much worse for wear, 18 hours later. It was pitch black, but there were still a few lumbering souls about.

Suddenly, a bright light shone in her face.

"Identify yourself!"

"What?" she managed to say, but she knew it sounded more like 'whaa,' she was so tired.

"Are you a student or a zombie?"

Lily's mind focused a bit more to realize that the light was actually on top of a gun and that helped her mind kick into gear. "A zombie? What the hell are you talking about? If you're all playing HvZ you really need to organize better."

"This is serious, ma'am, I'm with the National Guard. I'll take you somewhere safe."

"Somewhere safe, what's going on?"

"The zombie plague has broken out on campus. I'm not sure how you survived this long."

"Shouldn't we get the others?" Lily asked to the few students she'd seen about.

"Those aren't students anymore."

Lily tried to look at the figures around campus, but wasn't sure how the National Guard could tell that they were zombies. Sure they were moving slowly and sure some of them had a bit of an odor to them and well there was that story she'd heard about the biting and the measles might not have been measles...but...Isn't this how students normally were?

(Prompt by me and Ruairi Kennedy and me)
Photo by marsupium photography.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:2.8_hours_later_-_Zombie_Apocalypse_(14128854037).jpg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica