Skip to main content

Design a toy

So I don't think I'm going to be able to come up with a coherent toy idea in 15 minutes (why did I ever write that as a prompt?), but I figured I could reflect on what I liked in a toy as a kid and what I as an adult would like to see in a kid's toy for 15 minutes and then maybe something would spring up? We'll see.

  1. Adult me would like a toy that can be easily cleaned. Yeah I know this is a boring thing to think about, but honestly kids can be so grubby and if they love a toy, that toy is going to get grubby. So one that can either be put in a washing machine or washed with soap and water is ideal.
  2. Kid me would like a toy that can bend and move. This is a bit vague, but honestly one of my favorite Barbies was my friend Saskia's soccer Barbie who would bend her knees and elbows. I thought it was so cool that I could actually make her move around and sit and pose. So I think a toy that could be used to act things out would be very fun.
  3. Kid me would like something that can be customized. I know that sounds corporate, but I liked being able to make toys my own (I mean isn't this part of what drives kids to cut their doll's hair?). It's nice to have a doll that a lot of other kids have, but it's also nice for other kids to know that is your doll. This could be done in a lot of ways. Obviously, the toy could have different clothes that you can buy, but really it'd be great if it came in a variety of colors and that kids could pick them. I would've loved it if each time I got a doll or stuffed animal I could pick the color of the hair/fur, the eye color, and other little things (like freckles for a doll or where the spots go on a stuffed animal). If I could've done that I would've felt so creative because it would be ideas I had made into something I could hold. And, again, it would be my toy not just a toy.
  4. Adult me would like a toy that teaches something. Kid me probably appreciated this on some level, but I'd like to give a kid a toy that has some feature that allows them to learn. This could be a lot of things. Honestly it could just be a talking doll that says its phrases in English first and then in another language so the kid learns a few key phrases (surely this exists already). Or it could be a toy that is some sort of puzzle and teaches problem solving in that way (or this could just be that things for the toy have to be assembled in a puzzle-like way). It cold also be a toy that comes with a book series so kids are reading and, maybe, even writing their own stories for the toy. Yeah like the toy could have a website where there are stories written by other kids (vetted of course).
  5. Kid me would like a toy that is big enough to be cuddled. Now it's not that I didn't like little toys like Legos, because I loved me some Legos, but I really liked being able to cuddle a toy at night (to be honest, I still do). There is something really comforting about holding something you love in your arms as you try and go to sleep.
  6. Kid me would like a toy that can go in the bath. I thought it was so cool when I could take a toy in the bath with me. Some kids don't like baths, I know, but maybe having toys they can take with them would help. Or, for kids like me who liked baths, it just makes it more fun. Also, if a toy can go in the bath it probably can be washed easily (see point #1), so that's a perk.
  7. Kid me would like a toy that is part of a group. This would work well with the book idea before, but feeling like toys are part of a larger narrative (although kid me wouldn't have said it that way) was pretty cool. I liked that my toy was friends with other toys or went on adventures with others. It gave me some structure to base my own imagination ideas around.

Okay, so if anyone can combine that into a toy, please make it and send me some royalties.

(Prompt by me)
Photo by Susan Dennis

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica