Skip to main content

15 historical mysteries I wish I could solve

Sorry, y'all my brain is just not working today so it's another list. Here are 15 historical mysteries I wish I knew the answer to.

  1. The lost colony of Roanoke. What happened to these people? And what did the carving CROATOAN mean?
  2. Where is Genghis Khan's tomb? There is a lot of lore about this, but here is he? And what lies with him?
  3. What all is at the Hill of Tara? Some of it has been excavated, but there are many more mysteries to this site.
  4. What happened to the princes in the tower? They most likely met their end at the vile hands of their uncle, but what exactly happened? Who knew about it? Where did they end up? Why won't the royal family allow recovered remains to be DNA tested?
  5. What exactly happened in Salem in 1692-3? Was it poisoning? Mass hysteria? Opportunists? Some combination?
  6. What do the surviving bits of text from the Indus Valley Civilization say? Surely they say something, but just what remains uncertain.
  7. What is the source of dancing plagues? There has been more than one, so what happened?
  8. Who was Jack the Ripper? Was he a member of the nobility? Perhaps he wasn't a man at all, but a female midwife? Perhaps the crimes were committed by more than one person?
  9. Who was D.B. Cooper? A man hijacked a plane and got $200,000 and then disappeared. What was his name and what happened to him?
  10. What happened to Edgar Allen Poe? He vanished for a week and then returned incredibly disoriented. He died soon after his return. Where did he go? Who or what did he encounter?
  11. Where did Agatha Christie go? Poe was not the only author to have lost time. Christie disappeared for eleven days and claimed to have no memory of what happened while she was gone. Now that is a mystery I'd like solved.
  12. What is the Voynich manuscript? Another piece of undecipherable text. Is it meaningful? Or just scribbling nonsense?
  13. How did the Cinderella myth spread and where did it come from? This story is so pervasive that it makes you wonder.
  14. What else is buried with Qin Shi Huang Di? We found the terracotta army, but so far no rivers of mercury...but that doesn't mean they aren't there.
  15. Why have people been buried in bogs? There are many bog bodies and it's certainly possible there is more than one reason people ended up there. But were they generally human sacrifices? Were they people convicted of crimes? Was there perhaps an ancient serial killer?
What mysteries have you wondered about?

(Prompt by me)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the