Skip to main content

Please put me down, it's just a sprained ankle

Please put me down, it's just a sprained ankle, Spot thought helplessly. Being the beloved family pet though, he did not have a good way to communicate this. It was somewhat humiliating to be carried out of the dog park and by the family's smallest child no less. Spot thought of himself as a fierce dog, he was a bulldog after all and didn't their wrinkled faces command some sort of respect? Well not anymore, at least not to the dogs here.

Spot knew he wasn't as young as he used to be, but he thought he still had some action left in him. He'd gotten into a playful scuffle with a dog twice his size and was having a grand old time until the other dog decided to scamper down a hill. Spot followed, but one of his stumpy legs got caught on a tree root, snagging his ankle. Spot yelped, but mostly in surprise and not in pain, but his family didn't know the difference. The smallest child, Bobby, came over and made such a forlorn face as he examined him. The parents of the family looked him over and told Bobby that Spot seemed okay, but he should take it easy for the next day and if he showed any problems, they'd take him to Dr. Jensen.

Spot shuddered a bit at the idea of going to Dr. Jensen. That man was always poking and prodding Spot whenever they went to visit. Yes, there had been that one time that he gave the parents medicine for Spot that made him feel better, but Spot still didn't like him. No, Spot was determined to show that he would be okay.

But Bobby took his parents very seriously, as young children often do. He scooped Spot up then and there to carry him all the way home. Spot knew he'd never make it that far, but he wished that Bobby would have picked a different part of the journey to carry him. Carrying him out in front of all the other dogs made him seem like a spoiled lap dog and Spot tried to be anything but. Yes, his family did love him and spoil him to some extent, but Spot had lived a rough and tumble life before them, he had even spent some time on the street. Spot tried hard to get the respect of the other dogs through play fighting, winning tugs over sticks, and being able to make his wrinkly face look hard and grizzled.

Now this was all undone. He saw that even the teacup poodle was looking at him amused. The audacity of that little pup! Spot tried to wriggle and give a low growl to show he was unhappy with his situation, but Bobby took this to mean that his ankle was hurt worse than it was.

"Dad, Spot seems upset. Are you sure he's okay?"

"He's fine, Bobby. You just gotta be sure you're holding him tightly."

"He is a bit big for you to carry. Maybe we should ask your older sister to carry him," Bobby's mom, Sarah, chimed in.

"No, I'm a big boy. I can carry him," huffed Bobby in a way that made him seem younger than his nine years.

"Okay, but hand him off to me if he gets too heavy," Sarah replied.

Bobby then made a show of walking faster than his parents. This did nothing to help Spot. Now it looked like a young child could carry him with ease and perhaps even that this was something he did often. Spot grumbled again, but Bobby just held him tighter.

Spot wished he could stop all the other dogs from staring at him with those big eyes filled with amusement at his predicament. The only other dogs being carried were puppies or those too frightened of other dogs to have been brought to the park in the first place.

As Spot predicted, Bobby did not make it all the way home carrying him. He was relieved that Sarah encouraged Bobby to see if Spot could walk on his own. Spot happily did so with only a wince of pain. But Spot could see that his family saw the wince.

Once home, Bobby found new strength and scooped him up again. Spot didn't protest this time, his ankle did hurt and there were no other dogs around to see it. Bobby carefully carried Spot to his favorite spot on the couch and then brought him his favorite toy. The two played tug of war and Spot let Bobby win because it made him smile.

In the end, maybe it wasn't so bad if he was thought of as a lap dog. As long as only his family knew his true lap dog nature.

(Prompt sent by Katie Durr)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the