Skip to main content

Please stop petting the test subjects

"Please stop the test subjects, Aubrey."

"But they're so fwuffy!"

"Just because you're the baby of the family does not mean you can speak like one."

"But how else are you supposed to talk to cute wittle bunny wabbits?"

"You are not meant to speak to them, only to observe and take notes."

"You're so serious, Celeste. Why can't we have a bit of fun with these cutie patooties?"

"Because emotional attachment could hurt the study."

"I'm not an idiot, Celeste."

"I never said you were."

"Uh uh."

"I only implied that you spoke as one."

"Gee, thanks, sis."

"Not at all. Now may we continue observing the subjects?"

"And taking boring notes?"

"And observing them for any possible side effects that could prove important to our study you mean?"

"Yeah, that."

"Okay now what do you observe about subject number 34?"

"That he's got a brown spot on his face shaped like a heart."

"Yes and he had that before being given the experimental drug, so it's of no use."

"It is."

"How?"

"It's making my heart melt!"

"Aubrey, if you didn't want to be my intern why are you here?"

"No, no, I do. I wanna advance medical science and all of that."

"Uh uh."

"Well I wanted to at least not spend all summer at home with mom and dad?"

"There it is. Couldn't you have picked one of the other siblings to bother? This is important work you know."

"Oh come on, Celeste. Your work is definitely the most interesting."

"Not sure how much of a compliment that is."

"Plus you get to work with the cutest coworkers."

"They are test subjects, not coworkers."

"Oh same thing."

"Not at all, Aubrey. Some of these test subjects will likely die and others will likely be hurt in some way by the drug."

"Then...why are you doing it if it only hurts them?"

"I did not say it only hurts them, I said that some will be hurt. It is what happens with studies like these."

"But...the drug is important, right?"

"Yes, of course. Were you not even listening when I showed you my power point on it?"

"No, I was."

"Aubrey."

"Okay, fine I wasn't. I was looking around the room at the bunnies--"

"Test subjects."

"And I got distracted. But who could blame me, surrounded by all this cuteness?"

"I, your older sister and boss, can."

"But you won't."

"I will if you keep interfering with my work."

"You're actually bummed aren't you?"

"I am merely frustrated."

"Mom and dad told you I was really excited."

"So they did. As did you."

"I am!"

"Then please, at least listen to me."

"I'll try."

"Okay. Now what do you observe about test subject number 34 other than its markings?"

"Well he seems like he had a lot of coffee or something."

"I assure you that I do not give my test subjects caffeine."

"No, I mean like he's jittery or something."

"Now that is a useful observation, thank you."

"Also..."

"No."

"You don't know what I was going to say."

"I assumed you were going to comment on its exceptionally fluffy tail."

"I was! It's sooo fluffy! Come on, that has to be relevant."

"It is the same size as it was before, thus it is not relevant."

"Then how come you noticed how fluffy it was?"

"Just because I'm focused on my work does not mean that I am incapable of seeing beyond it, Aubrey."

"I didn't mean--"

"Of course you did."

"Celeste..."

"Yes?"

"I...I don't know, I guess I thought just saying your name somehow would get you to be not mad."

"I am not mad."

"You said that very angrily."

"Like I said before, I am just frustrated."

"I know you have more in your life than your work. I know you don't look at the world like it's filled with test subjects and hard data."

"Let us move on to test subject number 35."

"Celeste, come on, don't be that way."

"I am being exactly the way mom and dad wanted me to be."

"What?"

"They said that is why they were so excited that you wanted to be my intern. They said my whole life was my work and they knew that meant I could steer you in the right direction."

"The right direction?"

"Those were their words, not mine."

"Wow they must think a lot of me."

"I do."

"What?"

"I think a lot of you."

"Oh. Thanks, Celeste."

"Of course. Now test subject number 3--"

"You too."

"Yes, well. Onto test subject number 35."

(Prompt sent by Katie Durr)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the