Skip to main content

The lamp on your desk isn't powered by electricity. What turns it on?

"I'm telling you, it isn't plugged in to anything," I say to my mom over the phone.

"Well, sweetie, it's probably run on batteries then."

As though I hadn't thought of that. I had just moved into a new apartment in a new city and there was this confounding desk lamp. "Revolutionary, Mom. You think I didn't check for that?"

"There is no need to get so testy with me."

I sighed. She was right. It wasn't her fault that this lamp had become the manifestation of all of my stress from the past few days. Everything was just slightly off in this new city. The grocery store was arranged just differently enough to make me circle it several times to find what I was looking for. The way the public transportation card worked was just different enough to make me look like an idiot while trying to get on and like I was trying to skip out on a fare when trying to get off. And then there were the rules about dogs in the city. I still couldn't tell you when I'm allowed to have my pet with me. "Sorry, Mom. I just need to figure this out. Okay?"

"Okay. Maybe it's solar?"

My mom was always so patient with me. She really wanted to help. Maybe she could tell I had been having a bad few days. "That's not a bad idea." I turn the lamp over a few times, looking for little solar panels that could power it. Of course, I found nothing. "Nope, I don't see any panels."

"Maybe it's a crank?"

"Are you messing with me? What things operate on a crank?" I reply a bit too angrily.

"Didn't you have a flashlight that worked with a crank? I feel like we got you one when you went on that backpacking trip."

She was right. She was somehow always right. "Oh, right. Let me look." I searched all around the lamp for a crank in case this was some bizarre lamp that people wanted to operate via crank, but also that stayed powered long enough from the previous tenant to drive me crazy. There was no crank. "No luck, mom. What else powers lamps?"

"Fire?"

"Okay now I know you're messing with me."

"Well I'm not suggesting this lamp is just an open flame, but you asked what else powers lamps. There are plenty of lamps that are flames."

I sighed again. "You're right, you're right. But no, this one does have a bulb of some kind."

"Well is it your power?"

Oh. My. Gods. How had I not thought that? The previous tenant was also probably gifted and used this to focus her power. My power got agitated when I was and I had been more than agitated the past few days. At least my training was holding enough to not explode the lamp and just light it up. "What would I do without you, mom?"

"Apparently not be able to turn a lamp off."

We both laughed for a moment.

"I know working for the new high wizard is stressful, my dear, but you will be okay. Now just focus and you will be able to turn the lamp off.

I took a deep breath and centered my powers. Sure enough, the lamp turned off. "I did it!"

"Congratulations!"

"Now hopefully I can figure you the rest of my new life."

"First the lamp, then the world."

(Prompt by me)
Photo by M-J.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Nightstandlamp.jpg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

15 facts I learned from a random Wikipedia article

Original prompt: click on "Random Wikipedia Article" and write about whatever comes up (you can try 3 times and pick your favorite). For the record, I got Alejandro Estivill , Fencing at the 2011 Pan American Games – Women's épée , and Benjamin F. Jonas . I chose Benjamin F. Jonas because it was the longest of the three entries and it had a photo. He was born in Kentucky, moved to Illinois as a kid, and went to college and spent the rest of his life in Louisiana Jonas's father was a merchant and lawyer His father knew Lincoln (like they were real buds) Despite this, Jonas sided with the confederacy Not only did he side with the confederacy, but he joined the Confederate army and rose to the rank of major He went to University of Louisiana (now Tulane) Jonas was Jewish (I didn't know there were Jewish senators who served the Confederacy) He was the second Jewish U.S. Senator from Louisiana and the third Jewish Senator overall Jonas was the first Ashkenazi Jewish US...

Origin story or first issue of a superhero whose super power is geometry

Arya sat in history class and was bored. She longed to get to geometry, where things made more sense. She liked geometry so much that she had joined the math team to be able to do it more. Okay, there was also the extra time with her friends who loved math as much as she did, but some of the appeal was just the math itself. Finally the bell rang and Arya had four minutes to get to her geometry class. She passed right by the chemistry class next door where her least favorite teacher was conducting experiments. He needed to be more careful, thought Arya. The teacher had once exploded a glass beaker and not on purpose. Arya took her seat and excitedly pulled out her notebook. It was her favorite color: hot pink. She assigned her notebook and folder colors in ways that felt right to her. And since geometry was her favorite subject, she made her notebook and folder for it her favorite color. As the teacher started to go over the most common mistakes from the last quiz, Arya could've swo...

Color palette

Original prompt: "Google "color palette," pick one, and write something inspired by it." I actually Googled "color palette public domain" to be sure I could use it and found the image on this post. I used the "floral" section for my inspiraiton. The soft sunlight somehow didn't dim the shine of the fireflies. Such it was in the fae realm. Fern loved this time of day in the faewild where it wasn't quite day, but it was far from night. Fern frolicked alone in the glade as she was want to do. It didn't matter to her that her laughter carried itself alone on the breeze; she was content. She wasn't sure how long she'd been alone as she watched the suns begin to set, but it was pleasant in its own way. But then, she heard a noise. It wasn't the noise of leaves on the wind or twigs snapping from some comforting creature. It was the noise of someone approaching with grim determination. Fern wasn't sure how to ready herself to ...