Skip to main content

15 premises for historical fiction shows/movies that I would love to see

So I recently binged The Great and am now working my way through Reign so here are some ideas for people/historical events/time periods that I think would make excellent shows/movies.

  1. The US Camel Corps. This could be a bizarre drama or it could be a great comedy.
  2. Elizabeth of York. She was King Henry VIII's mother and also the sister of the princes in the tower. She lived a dramatic and intense life and she carries the intrigue of King Henry VIII which should be enough to pull people in.
  3. Following a USSR spy in the US who was sent to make maps. We know that the USSR secretly mapped a lot of the world and we know that some of this had to come from boots on the ground. Some of the mapped out areas were of very big cities, but some where small towns. In my show, it would be a comedy about a spy who isn't good at his job sent to a small town in the US to map it.
  4. A family sitcom based on the two living grandsons of our tenth president. They would end up going to events for families of presidents and also have to have secret service with them despite the fact that not even their own agents know who they are.
  5. A drama following The Jane Collective.
  6. A drama following the White Rose Society.
  7. A drama following Jonas Salk and the creation of the polio vaccine. Feels like a reminder of life prior to the polio vaccine could be could.
  8. A drama following Marie Curie. She had a dramatic and tragic life and made incredible scientific contributions, why isn't she a main character yet?
  9. A dramaedy following Ada Lovelace. She was told to focus on mathematics because her family thought being focused on the arts would make her go crazy. How is that not an insanely hilarious premise for a show?
  10. A comedy based on that time the US and Canada almost went to war over a pig being shot.
  11. A comedy following the Emu War. How is the time that people fought a bird and lost not already an award-winning comedy?
  12. A comedy based on Anne of Cleves's life post-King Henry VIII. She got to live a pretty lavish life afterwards and I think I would also have the ghosts of his other wives making appearances.
  13. A drama based on the life of the person who stabbed The Night Watch by Rembrandt.
  14. A drama series based on the life of first lady Harriet Lane. Wait, we never had a president Lane you say? That's right. Harriet Lane was the niece of James Buchanan, our only president so far to have never married. There would also be hints to Buchanan likely having been gay, but also having had a tragic end to his engagement (she killed herself).
  15. A drama based on a sex worker during the times of Jack the Ripper. I would have her do her own investigations and likely culminate in her and some of the other sex workers killing Ripper themselves.

(Prompt by me)
"A member of the legendary southwestern 'Camel Corps' stands at ease at the Drum Barracks military facility, near California’s San Pedro harbor." Photography by Rudolph D'Heureuse, who published a series of forty-one photos in 1863 refSorenson, Michael K.. A Most Curious Corps. Military Images Magazine. Retrieved on 13 February 2013. Found at: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:US_Camel_Corp_1.jpg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the