Skip to main content

My dog was attacked

Hey All,

I'm mostly writing this so I don't have to keep typing it out over and over again, but you are in no way obligated to read this if you don't want the details.

Yesterday, my friend Kimi and I were eating lunch in the grass of a park. I had Velma on her leash and in my lap. A young boy (8ish?) was approaching with his dog who seemed like he (I think it was a male dog but tbh I am not 100% sure) wanted to say hello to Velma. Before I could even say hi to the dog, the dog had Velma in his mouth. 

It took me and the adult owner of the dog several minutes to get Velma free. We punched and kicked the dog and the owner wrestled him. I got very scared when the young boy said "It's dead." While Velma was not in fact dead, she was severely injured. Once we got her free, I picked her up and moved her several yards away from the dog (the dog at this point was pinned to the ground by the full weight of his owner). I put pressure on her wound and then Kimi gave me a towel to keep putting pressure on the wound. Kimi called the police and a kind bystander (a woman) called Hyde Park Animal Hospital while another kind bystander (a man) helped to coach me to breath. The male bystander also checked on the owner (who I should say literally offered the shirt off his back if I needed it to put pressure on Velma's wound). The owner said that the focus shouldn't be on him right now. Also, at some point, the owner said that the dog was adopted (I believe somewhat recently).

After Kimi got off the phone, she ran to her car to pull around. The owner called his wife to come pick me up and take me to the hospital. I knew I'd take whichever car came first. Kimi came first and then I tried to pick Velma up. This must've caused her a lot of pain and she whipped around and bit my thumb pretty hard. I knew I'd eventually need help for it, but Velma was the priority. The kind lady bystander told me to wrap the towel around her head and after a few tries I managed to do it, pick Velma up, and get in Kimi's car.

Kimi rushed us to Hyde Park Animal Hospital and they took her from me. Unfortunately they told me that they couldn't help her that much because they were closing soon. But they did a loose bandage on her, called MedVet to refer her, gave Velma pain meds that MedVet suggested, and gave her antibiotics. They also gave me a muzzle to use in case Velma tried to bit me again. They just warned that the antibiotics might make her vomit so if she started to do that to take her muzzle off. They also gave me back Velma with the very bloody towel and Kimi and I were fairly confused as to why.

Kimi at this point had called my mom who went to meet us at MedVet and also informed my friends whom I had things scheduled with that they weren't happening. Kimi then drove us to MedVet which felt impossibly far away. I handed Velma over (I couldn't go in with her because of COVID) and then threw the towel out. My mom was already waiting for us so we updated her and I waited for a phone call from the vet (not for long, they are just doing it that way because of COVID). I told them to do anything and everything to save her, the price be damned (Velma has insurance for this exact thing but even if not, I would've given everything). Kimi then hugs me and leaves me in the hands with my mom.

After giving MedVet all the information they needed, my mom drives me to the ER. On the way I call Velma's main vet for them to send MedVet her records. I have to go into the ER alone (again, COVID). They saw me right away. My heart rate was very high (I had at various times during this had trouble breathing, felt like I was going to blackout, and felt like I would vomit), but they still thought I was fine to go ahead and be seen for just the bite on my thumb. I had to soak it in saline for a while, get x-rays taken (turns out you get to ride in a wheelchair to the x-ray room even if it's just your thumb that was damaged), have disinfectant stuff sprayed into my wound (yikes this hurt), have my thumb irrigated (what an odd term), and then have it taped up a bit. I was also given a tetanus shot and a prescription for antibiotics.

Meanwhile, MedVet had called me a few times while I was in the ER and I had to call them back after I left. They went over all of the possible complications and told me that Velma may have sustained injury to her spinal cord. They also told me that she had a 60% chance of making it through the surgery without major complications. I still told them to do whatever it took and so Velma went into surgery.

After I got my antibiotics, I grabbed some stuff from my apartment and went to my parents' house because I was so shaken. As I got ready to take a bath (I still had dirt and blood on me) I got a call that Velma had come out of surgery. They told me that she was an incredibly lucky dog. The vet said that the bite missed most of her organs (some slight damage to her pancreas that was easily fixed and some bruising to the kidneys that was not life-threatening). They told me that while she wasn't out of the woods, things were looking promising. They also said that I would get an update in the morning, but that they would call me during the night if her condition worsened.

I am now waiting for the updated, but I didn't get any calls over night so that's a good sign.

Please keep Velma in your thoughts and/or prayers.

Love,

Velma's Loving Mom

(Prompt by me)


Comments

  1. Hoping for her speedy recovery! - Cam from high school

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the