Skip to main content

He had kept their mother alive in his thoughts. Too alive perhaps.

He had kept their mother alive in his thoughts. Too alive perhaps. She clawed at the edges of his skull, the harsh scraping sound prying at his sanity. She twisted her way into any mundane thought she could, filling his mind with every idea of her. She oozed behind his eyeballs, lightly coating them with her essence so that his vision blurred, altered, and faltered away.

He had to get her out.

He tried filling his mind with joyous thoughts of her first, thinking these would quell her machinations. Yet those only seemed to sate her hunger for his energy and she grew more powerful.

He tried emptying his thoughts so that he could find peace and calm in the emptiness. But with the clutter gone, their mother no longer needed to claw or twist or ooze, she just was. And so she grew larger.

His sanity fraying at the edges, he turned to his siblings who only gave him calming words about how it meant he really loved her and wanted to keep her with them. They did not understand. For they had loved her and she them, but this was rarely the case between him and her.

Desperate and half insane, he turned to more magical cures. He drank tonics which only lowered his own defenses as his mother's possession began to take a firm hold. He repeated magical words that made his mother's cackle echo hauntingly through his very veins. He lit candles that only endangered him with their flames for he was too exhausted to calmly prepare the area around them.

Finally, he turned to mythology for help. He found the story of Athena wanting to burst forth from Zeus's head and he wondered if this would do it for his mother. He knew he had to act quickly for his very self was draining away and he felt his mother taking hold. 

He now moved as she had moved when alive as though containing a harsh grace. His tastes turned to hers and he found himself desiring acidic foods that roiled his stomach and throat. He only wished to listen to austere music that most would call unpleasant, but their mother had called the only meaningful kind. 

He was hardly anywhere to be found.

With the quickly draining stores of himself, he went and purchased an ax and was grateful that the only look the clerk gave him was a confused one and not a questioning one for he didn't know if he could help spilling his plan out.

He went to their childhood home where his siblings still lived, but he had refused to. He begged them once more to aide him, to rescue him, to do anything for him, but they simply said it was all normal grief and he would come out of it soon enough. 

Resigned to having to act alone, he asked if he could stay the night and they did not refuse him. Perhaps they heard their mother's tone coming through his voice.

They said nothing of the ax he brought.

Once the house quieted, he went into his mother's room as it seemed the most fitting place to rebirth her. He laid down on her blush colored family heirloom quilt with little lilies stitched into it, dead center. He lined up the ax between his, if they could still be called his, eyes. He raised his arms and brought the ax down with inhuman speed. The whistling edge was the last thing he'd recall.

In the morning, his siblings phoned the police and had his body taken away. They said they assumed it was the grief that had killed him. As his body was removed from the home, their mother stared down at it, unflinchingly from her window.

(Prompt from The Most Dangerous Random Prompt Generator, suggested by Emily Kleeman)

"Image from page 84 of "Religious emblems : being a series of emblematic engravings, with written explanations, miscellaneous observations and religious reflections, designed to illustrate divine truth, in accordance with the cardinal principles of Christi" posted by Internet Archive Book Images


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the