Skip to main content

It's true what they say about spirits in bottles

It's true what they say about spirits in bottles--they grant wishes, but only at a price. They lure you in with their depths and flavors and shiny outside so that you don't see the poison lying within. Not everyone finds these bottles, yet they are more common than legends say. How do I know, you ask? Well, my father found one.

One fateful day, my father picked up a beautiful spirit-filled bottle. He did not notice the noxious fumes under the beautiful bouquet. It whispered promises of confidence, pride, and success and so he drank, and drank, and drank. He did not stop at one bottle though. The spirit in the bottle urged him to seek out more, promising more granted wishes. Yet each time it was the spirit's turn to hold up its end of the bargain, it deftly convinced my father that payment was not due yet. When that failed it gave the ghost of a granted wish, rusted dreams covered in gossamer. Confidence and pride flowed as long as the bottle did. Success seemed a sure thing as long as the spirit was there. When my father could no longer be convinced, however, it was too late. The spirit had possessed my father's body. 

At times I would look into his eyes and not see him there. What an unsettling thing to be in the presence of a loved one and yet also in the presence of a complete stranger. It is the things nightmares are made of.

My brother and I tried to perform exorcisms of the spirit. We begged and pleaded with it to return the father we knew to us. At times, we succeeded. Our father's soul would return to his eyes, his heart, his embraces. We relished in these times and tried to put the past behind us. But the spirit never truly gave up. Eventually, it would be found in another bottle and it would surge through our father again, destroying the precious memories we had made in the meantime. These surges would also come with disease, but then there would be periods of health again when we got the spirit at bay once more. We did not think long on how these bouts of illness were compiling and compiling and compiling.

One day he finally fell too ill to ignore. I visited him, layered in protective gear and keeping my distance. I looked into his eyes bulging out of his skin-draped skull and struggled to see him in there. Yet he was there; I knew he was. He had to be. 

I watched him writhe and thrash in pain as the healers administered saving liquids to him. My presence didn't seem to help any, but everyone assured me that, at the very least, it did no harm. Yet it did harm to me. Fond memories of my father were being slowly replaced by him being in pain, him being vacant, him struggling for air. 

Things have calmed with his possession now. All bottles are kept away from him as a precaution and this has helped everything even out. Yet the spirit lurks within him and has taken so much, but it hasn't taken all and will never take all. My father is still my father. Yet, despite this knowledge, I also know what he--and I--have lost all thanks to a spirit in a bottle.

So I eye bottles carefully, for what if one contains the spirit that will possess me and take me away from my family. Yet somehow I do not avoid them entirely. Perhaps this is hubris. Perhaps I think the spirit was a singular entity despite what the legends say. Perhaps I am simply tempted to tempt fate. And so I take careful sips and hope that no spirit hides in them. 

I pray you do the same.

(Prompt by me)

"Hawker's X 4" by terry lavigne


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the