Skip to main content

Describe what your ideal romantic relationship looks like

Since I'm on the apps (Hinge and Match to be specific), I guess I spend a fair amount of time thinking about this, but I still think this post will help me think some things out.

Firstly, my ideal romantic relationship would be supportive. With everything going on with my dad I often wish I had a partner to support me in it. That doesn't mean that I don't have a great support system as is--I do and I'm very grateful for it--but it would be so nice to have someone to visit my dad with, someone to share my daily stress about it with, and someone to help me keep it together sometimes. I would also just appreciate support with day to day things sometimes like walking Hoban or cooking dinner. Doing those things alone can make me feel lonely so I often call people during them or play a podcast or audiobook. I, of course, also have minor frustrations that I would like support in and just have someone to listen to every little thing. I, of course again, would return all of this support in kind, as I think it should be. 

Along with support comes kindness. Even if I have to be brought back to reality for something, I need that approach to be with kindness as I can be a bit sensitive, especially when dealing with hard topics.

Humor would also have to come into the relationship. I need someone who laughs at my jokes and who makes me laugh at theirs. Humor is needed in both light and dark times, so I would look for this in an ideal relationship.

I also want romance. Now this doesn't mean constant big romantic gestures--in fact, I think I would actually get tired of that and/or feel too much pressure from them if they were frequent (but a few times especially at a proposal would be nice). For me, romantic gestures are just showing that you're thinking of me. Like getting me flowers (a classic for a reason) or snapping a photo of something that made them think of me or offering to help with mundane things or just helping when they see a small problem (like moving a hot kettle away from me after I almost burn my hand). Really little things I can find very romantic.

Another thing is I want someone whose intellectualism clicks with mine. This doesn't mean that they have to be more or even the same level of intellectual that I am. It just means that I want to be able to share intellectual discussions and hobbies with them at times (like doing a crossword together). I also wouldn't be a great fit for someone who is super intellectual as I definitely have a basic side that needs to be seen and appreciated as well (I'm watching The Bachelorette tonight and I watch The Real Housewives and 90 Day Fiance as you know if you read this blog), even if it isn't fully understood. But I find intelligence and intellectualism (different things), attractive and I think I have those traits too so I want to be able to share that.

Some other general things I'm looking for: someone whose politics click with mine, a feminist, someone who wants kids, someone with a job that means something to them (or has a hobby that means something to them), someone who finds me physically attractive (believe me, a tough thing to find based on how people respond to selections on Match.com), someone whom I find physically attractive (not sure I really have a type though so this is pretty open), and I'm sure other things that aren't coming to me right now.

Boy, I feel like that was all pretty generic, but still. Know anybody who fits, send 'em my way (apps are Hell on Earth--ask to see my "Men are Trash" Google Photos album if you need proof)!

So, what does your ideal romantic relationship look like? Has that changed over time? Have you found it?

(Prompt provided by Amelia Sacco)

"Rose" by Pascal


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the