Skip to main content

Myopic Books

I've only been to Myopic Books once (at least that I can remember). I also went during the pandemic, so perhaps the feel was a bit different at other times, but I had an overall lovely experience. I think going not during the pandemic would just make the place feel even more welcoming.

The one thing that turned me off a bit was that no photos were allowed (so I'm not sure how Myopic feels about the photos being on Atlas Obscura). As someone who loves to take photos, I didn't like this policy. My guess is it is to discourage people from taking photos of books and then buying them elsewhere (a common thing, let me tell you as someone who worked at a bookstore before), so I get it, but still...I wish I could've taken photos of the store as it was lovely.

There were books from floor to ceiling and different floors. You get this feeling of being overwhelmed by literature when you walk in--like there's so much to explore. If I hadn't been in a bit of a rush, I would've liked to get kinda lost in the store. There is so much to see. There are at least three floors of full of fabulous books.

I immediately went to the crime section (predictable). It took some work to find it (I had to look in a different section to find a sign), but I didn't mind that because I liked how labyrinth-like the store was. I love the feeling of bookstores that are mazes. I don't go to bookstores with a book in mind (at least not usually, and if I do then I ask someone to help me find it), I go to a bookstore to adventure and find something I didn't expect, to browse titles I may never have heard of or may never have heard of if I hadn't gone browsing. 

The crime section was in the basement with a short ceiling and cement (I think?) floor. I wandered around the mystery section which was tucked away at the back of the room in a subroom before finding it. It had too many mafia/organized crime books for my taste, but I found a book about an obscure Victorian murder and promptly found it as an audiobook I could check out (I'm on a budget and have found during the pandemic that I do better with audiobooks than with physical ones).

I could've stayed for a long time in Myopic Books, exploring every magical nook and cranny and finding even more titles that sparked my interest, but I had to get back to my dog and get ready for his training session. Next time I go, I would like to browse the sci-fi and fantasy as well as history sections (and take another peek at the crime section). These are the types of books I generally read, but lately I have been reading more "novels" although each has had a bit of a supernatural twist to it (one featured an apothecary that felt a little magical even though the narrator insisted that it wasn't magic and the other featured a ghost).

I would like to find time to go back to Myopic Books, but it is far for me so it has to be a special trip--maybe someone would like to come with me (and maybe drive me *smiles and bats eyelashes*)?

Have you been to Myopic Books? If not, what bookstore seems a welcoming place to you?

(Prompt by Kimisha Cassidy)

"This is what Myopic Books looks like," DC427 Atlas Obscura User
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the