Skip to main content

What's the best career compliment you've ever received? Describe the situation

One Thursday around 4pm, my boss came up to me and asked if I could transmit one more book. For those who don't know, transmitting a book (also known as launching a book) is getting a manuscript and related forms all ready for production. It's when the book moves from a draft between the editor and author to a draft shared with manuscript editing, design, marketing, and production and the book is truly on its way to being made. Needless to say, this was one of my main tasks as an editorial associate. 

Now, I mentioned the date and time for a reason. Transmittals were due by end of day on Thursday (with a grace period to early Friday morning to be used only as a small buffer really). So, as you can imagine, giving me a transmittal at 4pm on Thursday was kind of a wild thing for my boss to do. But we needed to transmit the book if we wanted it to have a chance of making it to a big political science conference next year (yes, that is how far in advance these things must be planned). So I set to work. This involved going over the manuscript and figures for any errors. I don't remember which ones I found, but I remember I found some and I had to send several emails to the authors telling them that these errors had to be fixed tomorrow or we couldn't proceed. I also had to send them the pre-transmittal questions that they needed to answer that evening as well. Finally, I had to send emails to manuscript editing asking if I could add a manuscript on late (the final call was typically at noon on Thursdays I believe...if I'm wrong about that, it certainly was well before 4pm). 

I remember working like crazy and ignoring my email so that I could focus on this project. I also couldn't stay late that day because I had a doctor's appointment. I got most of it done while working quickly and just had to leave it unfinished and hope I could finish it the next day.

The next day I came in early so I could have some peace and quiet before other people got into the office (I had a cubicle so it wasn't like I could shut my door and work in quiet no matter the time). Luckily, the authors had done all I needed them to do so I was able to finish up what I could before my boss got in (I needed his approval on forms before I finished).

My boss came in and had brought me donuts because he was a sweetheart who actually recognized how much work he had asked me to do in such a short amount of time (and how I was essentially calling in favors to turn in things so late). I would later learn that he also asked other departments not to bug me during that time because of how much work I had to do so my inbox was blessedly quiet. I got his approval on forms and got everything transmitted. I don't remember if we did this when we still had to print out the manuscript and forms and physically circulate them or if we had moved to a digital transmittal, but I got it all routed appropriately. And, I believe ultimately, the book made it to the conference it needed to.

I remember saying over and over agaain in my head that it had been a Herculean effort and it really was, but alls well that ends well I suppose. I was also honestly impressed with myself and I think I impressed my boss. It also made the authors happy which is always the goal.

Laater, my boss told me that the authors called me formiddable and I can't think of a better compliment (should I put it on my resume?).

(Prompt provided by Amelia Sacco)

"Man Holding Laptop Computer Typing While Dog Watches" by Image Catalog


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the