Skip to main content

Your character is a 4th grader tasked with making a time capsule. What do they put in it and why?

What am I supposed to put in this thing? My teacher says meaningful things. My mom says something I'd like to see later, but I want to see things now. Why would I want to see things later? 

I suppose one thing I'll include is a letter to myself. But what do I say? Hi? How's it being older? Is there something I should remind myself of? I can't think of anything that I'd want to know that I don't already know and if I already know it then won't I know it in the future? I guess I'll ask what life was like in high school cause we're all supposed to come back when we graduate high school and dig it up. Well I'll have a go at it now:

Dear Future Elizabeth,

Hi from your 4th grade self. How has life been since we last saw each other? Is that a weird way to put it? Oh well, we're a bit weird and I hope we haven't lost that. You probably don't remember, but you struggled with this assignment and I'm writing this before deciding what to put in it. I'll add a PS later.

I hope you're still friends with the gang--maybe you all still use your nicknames. That'd be cool. We were Ivy if you don't remember because your sister is named Holly so you were the holly and the ivy--get it? How is Holly? Is she just super old now? Did she move away for college? Are you going to college? I hope so, but maybe you don't.

What have you learned in all of these years? What's your number one fun fact? Share it with mom--she always loves your fun facts.

I hope you still like dogs, books, and onions.

Love,

Past Elizabeth

Maybe I'll include something that will go up in value if it's kept well enough like my Pokémon cards or a Beanie Baby. Those have to be worth something some day--at least that's what all my friends say. I do kinda just like playing with them though, but maybe I'll buy ones special for the time capsule. But does that defeat the purpose? When I'm off to college, will I care about things I just bought one random day? Wouldn't I want to see something dear to me? But will I still remember it if I put something dear in it now? Won't I just end up missing it?

Maybe I can make more things for it, like the letter. I could make a CD of songs. That way I'm not losing anything. Hopefully my favorite bands will still be around, but the songs I put on there will be classics. Funny to think that classical music was once the pop music. Or was it? I don't know enough. Maybe when I open the time capsule I'll know stuff like that. Anyways, I think a CD is a good idea. Maybe I won't even write the songs on it so it's a surprise when I play it in the future. I'll ask Holly to help me make one.

Okay so I have a CD and a letter, but we're supposed to put more in there. Maybe some photos? I could get my friends together and label it with all of our nicknames in case we end up feeling too old for them later on. Oooh maybe I could take photos of my Beanie Babies and Pokémon cards instead of actually putting them in there so that way I can save a memory of them but also get to keep playing with them. I bet I can convince mom to buy me a disposable camera at Walgreens. Oooh I could just put the undeveloped film in there so it's a surprise. I suppose I can't label the photos that way. Maybe I can convince mom to get me two disposable cameras. I'll develop one and leave the other as a mystery. I hope my future self likes mysteries. I hope my future self actually comes back to open the time capsule.

I think I'll also do some other artwork. Mom says she'll save my artwork, but at the same time doesn't seem to have a lot of it from when I was little. I'll draw the house and school. I'm not nearly as good of an artist as Holly, but maybe she can help me.

Okay, I think I've figured out htis assignment. Take that, teacher!

(Prompt by Kimisha Cassidy)

"time capsule: going inside" by jessica wilson {jek in the box}Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.0 Generic (CC BY-NC-ND 2.0).

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the