Skip to main content

Archaeologists find evidence of a giant humanoid civilization

"It can't be."

"It really looks like it though."

"Yes, but, forgive me professor, it can't be a footprint."

"Why not?"

"Because it's giant!"

"So?"

"So?!"

"Yes, put your assumptions aside."

"My assumptions?"

"Yes. Let me teach you for a moment."

"So you want me to assume that despite the fact that there has been no evidence before, that there are--"

"--or were"

"--or were giants?"

"Yes."

"..."

"As your professor, I feel as though I should tell you that making that face isn't strictly professional."

"Okay, I'll go with it."

"And?"

"And?!"

"You said you'd go with it. So, go with it."

"Well I SUPPOSE that IF there were giants, perhaps some of the large storage containers we've found were, in fact, not storage containers."

"Fascinating."

"I can't tell if you're mocking me."

"I am not. Please continue."

"Okay, so the storage containers would actually be serving containers."

"Could be. What else could they be?"

"Is this really an educational exercise?"

"I say it is."

"Okay, well they could be a few things. There is always the possibility of it being a ritual--"

"--a classic archaeological go-to."

"Well it's a classic for a reason. Perhaps they made tiny offerings to tiny beings. Or, perhaps, they kept smaller animals as pets and used these containers to feed them. Today, plenty of people have dishes and storage containers specifically for pet supplies."

"Yes, keep going."

"Another possibility is simply play. Today, for example, kids have tea parties—sometimes with actual food. Perhaps everything we have found is simply part of play."

"You think that all of the elaborate and well-crafted structures in this area are simply giant ancient dollhouses?"

"Okay, now you're being unfair."

"How so?"

"You literally forced me into this thought exercise."

"And now I'm forcing you to defend it."

"Fine."

"So?"

"So, yes, these could all be dollhouses or, as I said before, part of a ritual."

"Or?"

"Or, yes, both. Play can be ritualistic for sure. Perhaps playing with imaginary smaller beings was a way of interacting with another realm. Perhaps it was thought that members of the society had otherworldly beings they must care for."

"And why might we have not found evidence of these larger beings?"

"To be clear, professor, I don't think we have found evidence of giants."

"Again, I'm asking you to expand your thoughts."

"Very well. I think that perhaps their structures were so big that we have not considered them. We expect to find things on scales we are used to, with some range to be sure, but we don't expect to find a dwelling that would fit a family of giants. So, perhaps, the remains are simply too large."

"Another great theory. What else?"

"Of course, there is always the chance that they used materials that have simply rotted away, leaving little evidence behind."

"Now, examine the footprint."

"It's not a footprint."

"Why do you keep fighting my thought exercise?"

"Because I suspect it's not a thought exercise."

"Now, is it rare to find footprints?"

"Relatively, yes. But most finds are relatively rare."

"So, if there was a giant civilization, why might we not have found more footprints?"

"Again, they're rare. Also, again, they may be on a scale we're not used to."

"And what if these giants still existed?"

"What?"

"Humor me."

"Well, if they still existed, then perhaps they cover their tracks somehow. Plenty of humans know how to cover their tracks, so why would giant humanoids not be able to do so?"

"Exactly."

"Exactly, what?"

"Well, I have something to tell you."

"You've been pulling my leg, but I'm going to get extra credit?"

"Well, no, but you don't need extra credit."

"Then what?"

"I have someone for you to meet."

"Who?"

"Him."

"Wha—what?"

"Yes, quite surprising I know. I am very careful which of my studnets I introduce to this site. But you proved yourself."

"Thanks?"

"Meet, the giants."

(Prompt by Kimisha Cassidy)

"Archaeologists at work in Sigtuna town, Uppland, Sweden" posted by Swedish National Heritage Board - Riksantikvari


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

15 facts I learned from a random Wikipedia article

Original prompt: click on "Random Wikipedia Article" and write about whatever comes up (you can try 3 times and pick your favorite). For the record, I got Alejandro Estivill , Fencing at the 2011 Pan American Games – Women's épée , and Benjamin F. Jonas . I chose Benjamin F. Jonas because it was the longest of the three entries and it had a photo. He was born in Kentucky, moved to Illinois as a kid, and went to college and spent the rest of his life in Louisiana Jonas's father was a merchant and lawyer His father knew Lincoln (like they were real buds) Despite this, Jonas sided with the confederacy Not only did he side with the confederacy, but he joined the Confederate army and rose to the rank of major He went to University of Louisiana (now Tulane) Jonas was Jewish (I didn't know there were Jewish senators who served the Confederacy) He was the second Jewish U.S. Senator from Louisiana and the third Jewish Senator overall Jonas was the first Ashkenazi Jewish US...

Origin story or first issue of a superhero whose super power is geometry

Arya sat in history class and was bored. She longed to get to geometry, where things made more sense. She liked geometry so much that she had joined the math team to be able to do it more. Okay, there was also the extra time with her friends who loved math as much as she did, but some of the appeal was just the math itself. Finally the bell rang and Arya had four minutes to get to her geometry class. She passed right by the chemistry class next door where her least favorite teacher was conducting experiments. He needed to be more careful, thought Arya. The teacher had once exploded a glass beaker and not on purpose. Arya took her seat and excitedly pulled out her notebook. It was her favorite color: hot pink. She assigned her notebook and folder colors in ways that felt right to her. And since geometry was her favorite subject, she made her notebook and folder for it her favorite color. As the teacher started to go over the most common mistakes from the last quiz, Arya could've swo...

Color palette

Original prompt: "Google "color palette," pick one, and write something inspired by it." I actually Googled "color palette public domain" to be sure I could use it and found the image on this post. I used the "floral" section for my inspiraiton. The soft sunlight somehow didn't dim the shine of the fireflies. Such it was in the fae realm. Fern loved this time of day in the faewild where it wasn't quite day, but it was far from night. Fern frolicked alone in the glade as she was want to do. It didn't matter to her that her laughter carried itself alone on the breeze; she was content. She wasn't sure how long she'd been alone as she watched the suns begin to set, but it was pleasant in its own way. But then, she heard a noise. It wasn't the noise of leaves on the wind or twigs snapping from some comforting creature. It was the noise of someone approaching with grim determination. Fern wasn't sure how to ready herself to ...