Skip to main content

Snippets, two

Here are some short pieces based on when I've traveled.

Iceland

It was our second time on a whale watching tour and yet, still no whales. We had suited up in large orangey-red jumpsuits, taken selfies, and braved the sea spray for the promise of whales. The first trip had been unsuccessful, but we had been given free tickets for a second go around so I still held onto some hope. I felt guilty for canceling our other plans so we could go whale watching again, but I just really wanted to see whales in the wild. I thought it would be majestic and inspiring and despite everything going on in my year, I thought it could at least be the year that I saw whales. It wouldn't matter then that my dad was an addict, it wouldn't matter that I didn't know what I was doing with my career, it wouldn't matter that I was single: because I had seen whales. Except, I didn't see whales. I saw birds flock to an area of water which would suggest whales, but they didnt' break the surface (if they were there at all). My friend offered to let me have a moment alone to cry, but that made me feel worse. If she was there, at least she was there and not fretting over me wtih a worse view of the ocean. If she wasn't there, I would be alone, looking over a whaleless ocean.

Ireland

There are so many stories I could tell about Ireland, but I'll just tell a few. The first comes from my semester abroad in Cork. We went to the Drombeg Stone Circle on a field trip. It wasn't huge, but it still felt monumental. As I took in what my professor was saying about the possible uses and symbology of the stones, I felt a connection to the space that I had never felt upon one visit before. I later wrote a piece inspired by this place to help cement that feeling. One thing I don't like to talk about in regards to my time in Ireland was how much I struggled at times. I was writing, making new friends, and taking in the beautiful country, but my self-esteem was on the rocks (and not in the fun way that whiskey is). After coming home, I needed to increase my medication to get back to an easier place. Yet, I think it says something that that has mostly faded from my mind and the good times stand out. One of those good times was going to see some live music and get free whiskey at a pub. I didn't manage to get a glass of the free whiskey and I saw one of my friends sneak off, buy two whiskeys, and then return to tell me that he'd snagged us some free ones. I was so touched by the gesture that it still comes to mind with a smile.

Italy

I have two core memories from Italy. One was in Rome at the forum and the other in Venice along the canals. I went to Italy with a dear friend and one of the first places we hit up was the forum. I was seeing actual ruins. As someone who once had the dream of being an archaeologist, it was just inspiring. I even did a little hop out of excitement. I took more photos than I'd care to say and had trouble deleting any of them--that's how special this place was to me and to my heart. It was as if history, travel guides, and Google searches had sprung to life. In Venice, my friend and I tried to get a gondola ride, but another couple cut in front of us. However, the gondolier said he'd get in touch with someone to come and get us. Now we went in early January so it was cool, but being from Chicago we weren't cold. Also, the cool weather meant that the canals didn't have a strong odor. Soon, the second gondolier arrived and offered us a discounted ride since we had to wait. We happily took him up on it and our ride began. We moved smoothly along the water, looking at the gorgeous, but aging and sinking city. We took in sites included what was described to us as the youngest church in Venice (it was only 250 years old). I felt a sense of peace that I had never felt before and I gazed upon the water and the city.

(Prompt by Eleanor Pratt)

"IMG_4357" by Der Robert


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the