Skip to main content

A museum employee finds something unexpected in a drawer of specimens

Sarah rolled her neck and felt a few cracks. Days of standing and double checking tags on specimen could do a number on your neck and back, but such was intern life. Hey, at least she was paid this time. Besides, she was almost done with this cabinet. After this cabinet, she was going to take her lunch break with the other interns who were patiently waiting for her.

She used her gloved—yes gloved—hands to open the final drawer of the cabinet, squatting uncomfortably so as to avoid sitting on the floor. But she soon gave up on that pretense and fell the final few inches to the limestone.

Sitting in the drawer was a collection of toys. These were more recently acquired, but if a museum wasn't taking in new specimen, what was it doing? Museums were meant to be a record and the present would some day be fascinating to future scientists. But most of the toys, at least based on their appearance, were from the 1950s or so, but in the drawer sat a teddy bear that Sarah recognized.

It was hers.

No, no, that had to be impossible. Surely, it was just the same make of teddy bear. After all, plenty of kids must've had the same teddy bear. It was her job to check the objects, so Sarah daintily lifted the teddy bear and examined it. It had the same torn ear from where she'd tried to give it an earring, the same small almost-heart-shaped brown stain from a tea party they'd had, and her initials on the tag. 

It was hers.

Sarah had devastatingly lost this teddy bear decades ago, but seeing it again brought her a joy she couldn't name. She tried to remember losing the bear, but only found a pit of despair that could only belong to a child. It was vague and deep, but few memories attached. She remembered carrying the bear everywhere, but then, suddenly, her arms were empty. She must've set it down somewhere and not picked it up again.

And then someone picked it up and donated it to the museum? Could it have been found in the trash? In a thrift shop? Or had her parents donated the bear to the museum, afraid their daughter was too attached to it? Sarah couldn't remember her parents knowing anyone at the museum, but she never knew much about her parents' friends.

With shaking hands, she looked over the tag. It looks like it was acquired when she was six, which would track with about when she remembered losing the bear. What had she even called the bear? Her brain wracked itself for an answer and it finally came: Sweetie. It was what her grandmother had called her and so she called her teddy bear that as a way of naming the bear after herself. On the tag, it had the name: Sweetie. How could the person who got it have known the name?

Sarah looked for the information on where the teddy bear had been acquired. There seemed to be an error with the record because, if the tag was to be believed, it was acquired at the museum itself. Now, Sarah had been to this museum plenty of times in her life, especially recently as she got in for free (along with anyone else she could refer to as "family"), but she also remembered going quite a bit as a kid as her parents were members then. Could she have lost the teddy bear at the museum?

She had to tell somebody, but who? Would her boss care? Or would he be more annoyed that she'd spent too much time on this drawer? Or, worse, would he be angry that she had brought it upon herself to investigate a curiosity on her own?

Maybe, she shouldn't tell anyone. Maybe she should just take the bear back. Removing her gloves, Sarah hugged the teddy bear to her chest and felt warmth spread through her. She smiled and tucked the bear into her backpack.

After all, no one would really miss it, and, it was hers.

(Prompt by Kimisha Cassidy)

"Strathalbyn & District Heritage Centre" by South Australian History Network


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the