Skip to main content

Origin story or first issue of a superhero whose super power is geometry

Arya sat in history class and was bored. She longed to get to geometry, where things made more sense. She liked geometry so much that she had joined the math team to be able to do it more. Okay, there was also the extra time with her friends who loved math as much as she did, but some of the appeal was just the math itself.

Finally the bell rang and Arya had four minutes to get to her geometry class. She passed right by the chemistry class next door where her least favorite teacher was conducting experiments. He needed to be more careful, thought Arya. The teacher had once exploded a glass beaker and not on purpose.

Arya took her seat and excitedly pulled out her notebook. It was her favorite color: hot pink. She assigned her notebook and folder colors in ways that felt right to her. And since geometry was her favorite subject, she made her notebook and folder for it her favorite color.

As the teacher started to go over the most common mistakes from the last quiz, Arya could've sworn she heard a rumbling next door, but she ignored it and tried to keep focusing on the math. 

But then, the white board exploded.

Arya woke up in the hospital, with her head spinning. She vaguely overheard the doctors discussing the removal of pieces of the white board from her body.

"What?" grumbled Arya.

Arya's parents flew to her side and so did the doctor. They all began talking at once, but Arya gathered that the worst teacher in the world had created an explosion that managed to take down not only the white board, but the wall. Arya wasn't the only one hurt, but she was the worst off and was now stable.

Arya felt an odd surge rush through her and she asked for her geometry notebook. Her mom made a quizzical look, but her father ran and got her backpack for her. Arya hurriedly got her notebook out and began drawing the room, asking for measurements.

The doctor, confused, gave Arya her best estimates for lengths, widths, angles. Arya felt compelled to find the volume and area of different shapes as well as estimate angles. The doctor looked over Arya's work and seemed impressed.

"You have a real knack for this," she said. "Were you able to do this before the accident?"

Arya's parents began to talk over each other about how smart and gifted Arya was, but Arya interrupted them, "I'm on the math team, but I don't think I was this good. I definitely didn't feel the need to keep doing geometry like this."

The doctor nodded, "It is possible that the accident has had a deeper affect. The chemicals the teacher was playing around with are dangerous--"

"Dangerous? Am I going to be okay?" asked Arya, panicked.

"Oh yes, my dear. I just have to make a call." The doctor quickly left the room and didn't respond to anything Arya or her parents said. 

A few hours later, the doctor came back in with a man in a black suit. He calmly sat next to Arya and described a shape to her and had her draw it. It was a complex shape, but the man was very precise and Arya drew it, not even needing a protractor to get the angles right. To her shock, but everyone else's fascination, the shape came off the page and into the world.

Arya was in shock, but the man asked her to draw the TV in the room, but so that the area was doubled. Arya did it quickly and the TV morphed shape. 

"What's happened?" asked Arya to the man.

"You're a super hero, kid. Welcome to the team."

And that's the origin story of Super Geometry.

(Prompt by Kimisha Cassidy)

"Superhero" by marionberries. Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic (CC BY-SA 2.0).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the