Skip to main content

A sun goddess grapples with 365 days of straight rain

Please note that while I take the names of established goddesses, I did not research them so I'm mixing and matching different mythologies and making up rituals etc. around them. 

The rain had to stop, it just had to. Reclining on her plush chaise, Aya despaired. This was her fault. If she could just shine brighter, do her job better, the sun would come out and the rain would stop. It was her duty, after all, to take care of the sun. Yet all there had been for the past few months was rain. Dodola, the goddess of rain, was besting Aya at everything she tried. 

Aya performed her light dance, but Dodola had her followers perform their most sacred dances. And so the rain continued. 

Aya polished the sun's rays, but Dodola polished each rain drop. And so the rain continued.

Aya asked Dodola to give her a chance, but Dodola left her pleas unanswered. And so the rain continued.

Now the world needed rain, Aya knew this, she accepted this, but did it need this much rain? Had Aya's followers grown lax in their worship? Or, worse, had they abandoned her altogether?

As the rainy months continued, Aya languished. Nothing she tried was good enough it seemed. She began to even lose faith in herself.

And so the rain continued.

After eight months of rain, Aya got a plea from one of her youngest followers, saying she could not even remember the sun. Aya decided--with grim determination--that she wouldn't give up. The rain had to let up. She would make it. She would bring sunshine back to the world.

She danced her dances. Polished the rays.  Sent visions to her followers of gloriously sunny days ahead so they wouldn't forget what a world with sunshine could be.  Accepted offerings and sacrifices, but offered to share them with Dodola, for certainly they didn't have to be enemies. 

And she never, ever, punished the followers of Dodola. Other deities had encouraged this, but it never sat right with her. Dodola, after all, hadn't punished Aya's followers except with rain. And rain was meant as a blessing to Dodola's followers, not as a punishment to Aya's. No, the followers were not to blame for this spat or for the rain.

Slowly, Aya saw improvement. The rain clouds remained, but the violence of the storms lessened. The intensity of the water falling lightened. And days began to be more distinct than nights. Perhaps even some sunlight snuck through the clouds.

On the 366th day, Dodola finally answered Aya's pleas. 

Dodola agreed to give Aya a chance. They did a dance together and brought about holy and vibrant sun showers. The people had never seen such a thing, but they marveled as the light hit the droplets and delighted in the feel of warmth and rain at the same time.

The days of rain had not quite ended, but at least the sunny days had started again.

(Prompt by Kimisha Cassidy)

"rain-day" by Anatol C


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting my parental journey, part 1

To be clear, I am not pregnant. Nor do I currently plan on being pregnant soon. However, I promised myself that if I was 30 and still single I'd start to explore my options for having a child either on my own or later in life with a partner. Well, 30 came and went, but 31 is still here so close enough I figure. My first step was to make an appointment to discuss options with a doctor because I could do all the research I wanted on the internet, but I knew it would overwhelm me. As I write this, I haven't had that appointment yet so no news there. Now I made this appointment in February (hey, I was still 30 then!) and it was originally scheduled for October (yes, an 8-month wait for an initial appointment), but last week the appointment got moved up to this week and things got moving! The timing feels right in a certain way. Two people I care about are having babies in the next month, someone else I love is expecting next year, and I also know multiple couples either trying or g

Starting my parental journey, part 2

You can read part 1 here . Yesterday I began the next step of my parental journey. Ironically, it was starting birth control. This medicine helps prepare my ovaries for the egg retrieval process. It was weird taking the pill to prepare for my fertility journey because you typically think of the pill as ensuring you don't get pregnant. Obviously, I'm not getting pregnant now, but I am getting ready for that eventual possibility. There have also been various bureaucratic issues that I've been dealing with. Mostly insurance stuff (as I'm sure comes as no surprise). But, thanks to a new benefit at work that started 1/1/24, my journey will be (mostly) covered. While, again, there were some bureaucratic hurdles that I had to overcome in order for this to all work out, I am immensely glad that it did work out. I am nervous though. In part I'm nervous about a lot of the practicalities of this step in my journey. For instance, I will have to inject myself with various medica

90 Fiance: The Other Way, season 5, episode 24

Tell all time concludes?  Aw Kenny is sweet I guess Holly and Wayne are working it out? God, Tim, I don't care God, Shekinah, you are so brainwashed Dan, no one asked for you to be here Sarper, why are you admitting this? Gosh Midnight's birth sounds so scary Aw so we do get to see Midnight Chill, Brandan Shekinah, you thought Brandan was an angel until right now??? Okay three weeks isn't a long time to not ask for money, Brandan Brandan's mom, is so right...they need therapy Wait is there really only one therapist in all of Samoa? Mary, you shared your problems with a TV crew Oh Brandan and Mary are thinking of moving to the US or at least visiting Sarper, I suppose it takes one to know one Yohan...you sure look guilty Again, I'm not saying Daniele is great, but like, my dude, you definitely cheated on her Daniele, why haven't you filed already? Lol to Kimberly making a face I'm genuinely worried about Shekinah Daniele...are you going to keep living in the